Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard

Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard (http://forum.sfgame.us/index.php)
-   Archive Game & Support (http://forum.sfgame.us/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The double posting rule should be modified (http://forum.sfgame.us/showthread.php?t=6791)

spiny norman 01-19-2013 09:41 AM

The double posting rule should be modified

I just made what I believe to be a new observation that should be of interest to S &F players. Rather than cluttering up the forum with a new thread, I located the appropriate thread and went to make a post, only to discover that I had made the most recent previous post in the thread...3 weeks ago.

Not wishing to violate the "double post" rules, I edited my previous post, rather than entering a new one.

Unfortunately, editing a post does not update the post's statistics: that is, the thread looks like no one has posted in 3 weeks. There is nothing to indicate that it contains new information.

So if anyone is interested in learning this new observation, good luck finding it.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the "double post" rule? I can't really see any.

bobo baggins 01-19-2013 10:25 AM

Please read here it doesn't say why but that it is not allowed.

If someone works with me by letting me know they want to add new info to a thread then there are ways to where it can be done and show the new date.

iTZKooPA 01-19-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiny norman (Post 48463)
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the "double post" rule? I can't really see any.

The main purpose is to prevent players from posting for the sake of posting. It's why there is an edit button. Unless the information that is being compiled flows over the allowed amount for a single thread it's best to keep it in one for searching purposes, posterity and later linking.

spiny norman 01-19-2013 07:35 PM

so the idea is to everything nice and neat for the purposes of searching, at the expense of conversation?

Just another reason no one posts here any more.

Gynx 01-22-2013 06:13 AM

not to mention..whoop-de-doo..adding to post count..as if that gives players credibility..or some sort of gold bonus...who cares if your post count reads 11 posts or 926?

so really who cares if its a double-post? ESPECIALLY in spiny's situation..or any situation where the post will shed more light on a subject or inspire new commentary about a new feature/bug with the game/complaint about something valid..and so on.

I know I have received an infraction for it. It made me :D
Then again, all my infractions from a former mod made me :D

iTZKooPA 01-22-2013 08:16 AM

The only benefit to following up your own post, aside from what Gynx pointed out, is that it refreshes the post's last update.

spiny norman 01-22-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTZKooPA (Post 48484)
The only benefit to following up your own post, aside from what Gynx pointed out, is that it refreshes the post's last update.

Yes, it tells people that there is something new in what otherwise would appear to be a dead thread. I, for one, believe the forum would be improved with more activity. If there were dozens of posts per day and useful chat was being drowned out by people spamming threads perhaps there would be some justification, but right now activity is nil. Any post that adds to discussion is worthwhile. I'd rather see someone talking to himself than no discussion at all.

The death of the forum presages the death of the game. Which is not to say that invigorating the forum will necessarily extend S&F's life, but it couldn't hurt.

Rizathivax 03-26-2013 04:56 PM

I've run into this myself, you edit a post & no one knows or you add to the thread & get the double post write up. :wall:

So, it seems that it would be really nice if when we edit a post that it updates the thread info with a message like "Lasted edited on xx/xx/xxxx by So&so" or at least have a different icon showing maybe a pencil eraser for an edited post. Then have it flip the thread to unread content & trigger the new content e-mail(s) for thread subscribers.

Thus revealing to all the exciting "hidden" activity that we are currently missing out on. :az:

Or if the system won't allow automating it, how about adding a "Submit & Update Thread" button or a check box for selecting "Update Thread" by the "Reason for Editing" blank, both of which would have the same above effects. This would give people the choice to decide if the edit was something important or just a spelling/grammar correction. ;)

Since none of this would change the post count, spamming for fame should not be any more an issue than it is now & if it's abused for say thread bumping, the "button" for that person could be disabled or they could be written-up, like now.

BMWGuinness 03-26-2013 08:29 PM

I am not a fan of the double posting rule!

GeorgeKen 04-01-2013 12:48 PM

double post is like liking your own facebook status! (well not even close, but it felt nice saying it! :P)