Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard

Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard (http://forum.sfgame.us/index.php)
-   Archive Community Area (http://forum.sfgame.us/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   So many people quitting S&F - Do you think its a coincidence? (http://forum.sfgame.us/showthread.php?t=4902)

BMWGuinness 11-07-2011 12:29 PM

So many people quitting S&F - Do you think its a coincidence?
 
Oktoberfest = October 2011
The Banhammer Cometh = November 2011
# of people quitting the forum = on the rise
Coincidence?

DominicS 11-07-2011 01:00 PM

lol. I am sorry, I know you wanted this to be a serious poll, but I couldn't help but choose the last option given. :D (It looks like I wasn't the only one!)

Imho, I think the Banhammer has a lot to do with it, because rather than simply leave the game, those players about to be nailed (ya gotta love the pun! :D) think up a slew of other excuses and reasons about why they are leaving. Often being belligerent and accusatory during their departure. I see it A LOT irl when you catch an employee stealing from you. Rather than admit their shortcomings and apologize, they get extremely defensive and argumentative.

In short, if I had a second vote, it would be for the banhammer reason. :g:

IsildaN 11-08-2011 03:43 AM

its all online games problem -quiting players, and thats because ppl usually get bored of game, if the game not offer any news to interest players they usually quit game one day, atm im bored here too, but last update give somethink for game and i hope they will do some newies in future

Visitor 11-08-2011 06:43 AM

People quit cause the game is too simple and boring :)

Darstard 11-08-2011 07:43 AM

People have also been know to stop playing complex and exciting games, Visitor.....
but thank you for your contribution.

bobo baggins 11-08-2011 07:49 AM

thats what makes the game fun is that it is simple imo. that anyone can just jump in and play without having to read a 500 page manual just to get started. plus the friendship i have made here i hope will last beyond the game

Cregan 11-08-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicS (Post 35986)
Imho, I think the Banhammer has a lot to do with it, because rather than simply leave the game, those players about to be nailed (ya gotta love the pun! :D) think up a slew of other excuses and reasons about why they are leaving. Often being belligerent and accusatory during their departure.

@like-minded people: Don't judge all people based on your experience with a few people. Sure, for some this may be true, but players ARE allowed to leave when THEY see fit. To put them down like above, without any solid proof, is going too far imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicS (Post 35986)
I see it A LOT irl when you catch an employee stealing from you. Rather than admit their shortcomings and apologize, they get extremely defensive and argumentative.

Then you handle this in a sub-optimal way. If you have solid proof, the point should be clear and there should be no room for arguments. People only argue if you let them.

DominicS 11-08-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cregan (Post 36036)
@like-minded people: Don't judge all people based on your experience with a few people. Sure, for some this may be true, but players ARE allowed to leave when THEY see fit. To put them down like above, without any solid proof, is going too far imo.

Whoa, ease off your soap box there for a minute Cregan! :no: If you would have actually read my post, I do believe I said "the players about to nailed" not all. Only a fool would make absolute statements.

And I was NOT putting ANYONE down. I just made a general statement. If you read more into it than that, then that says more about YOU than it does about what I wrote.

As to your general argumentative/defensive tone, to paraphrase the Bard "methinks he doth protest too much".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cregan
Then you handle this in a sub-optimal way. If you have solid proof, the point should be clear and there should be no room for arguments. People only argue if you let them.

...where to begin with this erroneous statement? Having dealt with the public for most of my adult life, one thing is for certain, people will argue regardless of whether there is "room" for arguments or not, ESPECIALLY when they are in the wrong. This goes from the person caught speeding on the highway, to the person taking a cup of ice from a convenience store without paying simply because they think it is "just ice".

And in closing I just want to thank you for taking a light hearted response and demonizing it. If you have a guilty conscience I suggest you confess your sins to Itzkoopa instead of trolling my post. Thank you.

Rizathivax 11-12-2011 12:50 PM

Then you have people who argue because they think it is fun.

I think trolling forums falls into that section.

Prosperos 11-13-2011 01:45 AM

I'd say sf is not that much of a interactive game. You have a guild you chat with them from time to time and that's pretty much it. If it were a game that depends on the number of people playing for better game play then I would be concerned.

moreum 11-13-2011 12:05 PM

I've been on and off playing the game and I think it's just that people might not have time to play the game in general.

wravzilla 11-14-2011 08:13 PM

here is a simple consideration... my play time is seriously reduced to to an increase in my work responsibilties and work load because to keep my job i have to do the work of 3... but i play as i can... others just do not feel the need to make that time in their day.... ban hammer aside... the dedicated stay the casuals will always run... eventually... it is the reason we all moved past Pac-Man and now have sky rim... better games are coming... and Playa is moving in the right direction

lspiderl 11-14-2011 11:36 PM

theres some other considerations

1 theres no real long term goals

2 theres minimal player interaction

3 for many people esspecialy early on theres a definate feeling that you cant progress without buying mushroom ( even though its not entirely true there is a definate impression of this)

4 too many servers . opening new servers and everyone leaving to flock to the newest server has caused the low number servers to be nearly empty and people meaninglessly race to try and hold some rank on the new servers

Lady Java 11-15-2011 11:47 PM

Hard to say BMWGuinness so I haven't voted yet, but I will before the deadline. btw this is a similar poll to my banhammer one lol.

However I do have a theory which I will elaborate on in another thread.

Edit: Voted. Went with legitimately, but I do agree with Spider's number four point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor (Post 36028)
People quit cause the game is too simple and boring :)

You know Visitor I really appreciate how Dastard responded to your comment in a nice way and since I intentionally picked my name to keep myself acting lady-like I will try to word my next sentences carefully.

I notice a trend with you Visitor (love the simplicity of your name). In the chat you don't really say anything constructive. You like saying things like "blah-blah" and "whatever" (no other words just these).

If you find the game and chats to be so boring then why not go and find another game? With the multitude of games out there I am sure you could find something to excite you. However, I am assuming that you are a mature individual and not some bored little kid with nothing else better to do with his time than make inane remarks.

Gynx 11-16-2011 09:26 AM

I think the answer to this poll is fairly simple and yet complex; It all boils down to people quit because they are bored. I dont think its any other reason, including being afraid of the banhammer. For some reaosn, BMWGuinness seems absolutely stuck on this idea and has mentioned it in numerous posts.

The game itself, is not THAT interesting to a wide audience, because there is no end and its obviously incredibly repetitive. From a game standpoint, you can either strive to be the #1 player, be in the #1 guild, collect all items for your scrapbook, attempt to conquer all the dungeons, and/or simply meander along at your own pace, maybe chat in a guild..etc.

That said..many of the other issues presented by most of you remain valid; some people will be quickly bored doing 100 thirst, killing the same old glompfs and upgrading their boots and gloves to ones with slightly better armour or CON/DEX..etc..
Others will be irked that they didnt start on a server early enough, so they have little chance to be number one or top 10 unless they hope that those early adopters finally become bored and quit.
And many people do quit..because the game itself isnt THAT interesting.

I play because I am here for the chat. So I disagree that player interaction isnt present. I have some VERY good friends I have made on a few of the servers.. I know others in my guild have done the same..perhaps its because I try to encourage chat, perhaps there are simply some terrific individuals in this guild, perhaps its because I also try to foster a lot of interaction with guildmates outside of the game (an offline forum, email, phone, trading photos and videos..whatever). I dont know the answer, but I do know that in the guilds I have been a part of, I see a lot of chat and people having a good time and chatting, and if you combine that with the competitive nature that many of us have, it can make for a rewarding experience.
Add to the fact that Playa strives to add new equipment, dungeons and other features from time to time, it helps keep the game from becoming too stale (for me at least).

So if you arent competitive..and/or maybe real life gets in the way, you'll likely quit.

polopoloyuuu 11-16-2011 09:50 AM

I agree that chat is important, i'm surprised Playa hasn't implemented a better chat system...

dearl 11-16-2011 09:52 AM

Why leave?
 
I agree with Gynx in that I feel you get out what you put into it. I have been around a long time because I totally enjoy talking to the people in my Guild! The game is OK but I would not want to leave the friends I have made from all over the world for any reason! If you get bored and leave then you didn't get to know anyone here well enough to really care about them!

Likaios 11-16-2011 10:57 AM

And ironically, I started playing recently because the game is so simple. Ordinarily I play more complex and more time consuming games, but my life just doesn't permit regular, extended gaming sessions these days. S&F is a great solution for me-- I can slip in and play a bit when I want to and just do city guard when I'm skint for time. Point being, I don't think we can say simplicity is a conclusive reason why large numbers of people might leave the game.

Some of this is just organic, I think, in all the games. Populations fluctuate depending on time of year, new games launched, trends in that game, etc. It seems to me that most MMORPG's are complaining about a loss of gamers over the past year, which indicates to me that we may just be coming down from a peak number of casual gamers trying out these games.

One thing I've observed in other games that does seem to be a danger here is S&F competing too much with itself. I've seen clone games or new servers opened in other games to the point where populations in each game and each server were negatively impacted, and people would leave as a result of that-- too hard to find an active gaming community within that game or family of games. There are always a handful of players who will continue to play in a dead game just to be on top, even if there's not much to be on top of, but most of us play with the intent of having some interaction with other players. When that's lacking, the social players drift away.

DominicS 11-16-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gynx (Post 36596)
I think the answer to this poll is fairly simple and yet complex; It all boils down to people quit because they are bored.

In general I didn't disagree with anything Gynx said...not even this quote. My one thought with this, however, and I believe it may be running through BMW's mind, is that is seems that a lot of people are getting "bored" with the game soon after the Banhammer was announced.

It may JUST be coincidence, and quite frankly as a casual player, it really didn't affect me one way or the other (announcement of the banhammer, I mean), but I can understand why some people look upon the mass exodus as suspicious.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Likaios (Post 36610)
And ironically, I started playing recently because the game is so simple. Ordinarily I play more complex and more time consuming games, but my life just doesn't permit regular, extended gaming sessions these days. S&F is a great solution for me-- I can slip in and play a bit when I want to and just do city guard when I'm skint for time. Point being, I don't think we can say simplicity is a conclusive reason why large numbers of people might leave the game.

My reasons are largely similar to Lika's. I, too, came from more "complex" MMORPG, but time and cost were luxuries I didn't have any more, so the "simplicity" of SnF appealed to me. It still does. Granted, as a casual player striving to be better, the game is still interesting for me. I have met some interesting people, some of whom I enjoy conversing with, and that too is part of the appeal of this game for me.

Just a few other points I wanted to touch on. I think it was Lika too who commented on the numerous servers being opened and the danger of killing off the community because of it being watered down. I have to agree. It was definitely something I was thinking about myself, as I have lost guild members to new servers in an effort to challenge to be number one.

My last thought here is that, if it is too hard to catch up to number one once the server has been active for a while, isn't that a fault in the gameplay and shouldn't/couldn't that be addressed, instead of opening up new servers as a remedy?

ps: lol. I actually think I cast my 'vote' for "who cares, I am gaining ground", simply because it tickled me so...with a glimmer of truth behind it too.

Darstard 11-16-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicS (Post 36613)
I if it is too hard to catch up to number one once the server has been active for a while, isn't that a fault in the gameplay and shouldn't/couldn't that be addressed, instead of opening up new servers as a remedy?

This is a difficult thing to balance. I am not sure if S&F has it right, but they ARE trying. They need to balance the catching up with the staying ahead. Currently leveling takes significantly longer as you gain in levels, and also includes speed-bumps at key level markers (Levels 200, 250 and 275) that last for 5-10 levels as well. That means the people ahead of you will always be leveling more slowly than you, so catching up is possible (holding shroom consumption as a constant). Making the curve steeper is going to be tough. I play max XP and it already takes me 1 week to gain a level. When I hit L300, it's going to be 2 weeks per level. If they slowed that down more, I think you'd have even more folks retiring at L200 or L250. That type of "forced retirement" wouldn't help keep the game fresher or help the community to my mind.
I think it would be great if we could figure out how to get more players into the community right away. Most of us stay for some aspect of that as opposed to just the gameplay. I'm not sure how to make the forum more effectively prominent than it is now though. Perhaps a weekly message about it in your mailbox when you're working through L1-10??
What would have brought YOU* to the forums sooner?

*YOU = the reader, not just DominicS. Post up, folks!!

Lord Arse 11-16-2011 01:12 PM

One reason I do like this game is it is so simple and not massively nerdy and life-consuming like many other MMORPG games I daren't mention.

But because of this, it's the social aspect of the game that keeps me playing. This is why it seems INSANE (in the membrane) to me that there aren't better social aspects to the game.

We've heard time and time again that the reason that there isn't a better chat function is limitations to Flash and bandwidth. I honestly think this is bull and the main reason is that there just isn't a better chat function!

Imagine if there was a world chat, various rooms, more tavern games (with high-score tables!), a decent mail system that actually made you want to use it... it would certainly keep people playing and from getting bored. It's all about sticky!

But I, and numerous others, have mentioned this until we're blue in the face, and nothing has and probably ever will come of it.

Oh, and people quitting because of the so-called 'banhammer'? I think not.

Likaios 11-16-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darstard (Post 36619)
I'm not sure how to make the forum more effectively prominent than it is now though. Perhaps a weekly message about it in your mailbox when you're working through L1-10??
What would have brought YOU* to the forums sooner?

Well, I'm a fool for forums, so I just wandered here on my own and I do in pretty much every game I play for more than a week. I don't think there's any way to bring someone like me to the forums faster.

Things that would help with the rest of the game community though--

Improved guides maybe? Or at least guilds encouraging their new players to use the existing guides by linking them in mails or on the guild announcements?

Awarding mushrooms for your first post on the forums would be tempting to a lot of people, though I'm not sure the company is ready to do the work to set up tracking for that.

But back to the original topic-- I'm not sure the threat of banning really does much to discourage breaking the TOS in one way or another. People who multi will prolly continue to do so and either do it smarter or just not sweat it when they do get caught. I haven't been in S&F long enough to even venture a guess on how much that sort of thing happens here, but I've seen it enough in other games to be pretty convinced people don't generally care too much if they get caught in their bad behavior.

toefoo 11-21-2011 06:37 PM

the people that i play with and those that i know of that play, all play during downtime periods of other big MMOs or downtime at work, I know of quite a few people that have left only because they left the MMO they were playing that allowed for that kind of downtime. People will come and go for all kinds of reasons, but that's something I have noticed in my own little circle of friends.

lspiderl 11-30-2011 10:17 PM

as far as chat yes if your in a large active guild it could be fun and sufficent ... however if yorua new player or your a moderate player in anything but a top ten guild with all active players player interaction is more akin to a desert waisteland

if however there were some sort of global chat on servers of a sort it would in fact add an entirely new element to the game,give people real time coversation . spice up guild wars , and even make it easier for new players to get advice or find like minded people etc

Gynx 11-30-2011 10:29 PM

I had suggested some sort of beer garden/town hall/inn like environment to foster that type of chat..except not on the forums here, but an actual in game area.

*shrug*

beanie 12-13-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gynx (Post 37441)
I had suggested some sort of beer garden/town hall/inn like environment to foster that type of chat..except not on the forums here, but an actual in game area.

*shrug*

I would like to see a tower defense kind of thing, where your guildmates could play along. Winning the TD game would give access to an additional shop which sells buffs (but not equipment) which apply to dungeons.

Unfortunately, I will be quitting camp because I don't see a way to play competitively without spending more on mushrooms than I would spend on a full-fledged MMO.

I have friends who still play but most of them have left for similar reasons.

Beanie

iTZKooPA 12-14-2011 10:14 AM

It's interesting how even this poll is running.

Kyle Kenkade 12-16-2011 12:07 PM

lol, thats our guild made a fan page on facebook, makes it more social....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by 'Playa Games GmbH'