Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Strategy & Tactics

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Adventurer

Well, I do deal with loss rates. Sacrificing 10% of your experience to prevent the loss of 1% isn't a good trade off.

Non-shroomers will have more income/level, though. They get more guard duty per level, because it takes them longer to level. I'm not in a position to say exactly how much it better, but I'd expect it to be enough.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Truffle Shuffler

I did miss work gold, and I would think it gets fairly significant. Currently my work gold is almost as much as my 100 TFA quest gold even when aiming for maximum gold.

Last edited by Selviet; 06-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Adventurer

Ever have one of those moments that make you want to bash your head into the wall in shame?

Gaining a level takes X segments, where X = (XP/Level)/(ave_XP/seg)

ave_XP/seg is not affected by thirst. In other words, it doesn't matter how many quests you do per day, the quest income per level of a non-shroomer is exactly the same as a shroomer, if the quest selection method is the same.

So, no, a 100 thirst player is not at a gold reward disadvantage relative to level, and in fact, due to the more work/level, the non-shroom player actually has better stats at a particular level and should lose fewer quests than a shroom player with less work revenue.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Stable Boy

Send a message via Skype™ to Azkasha
Question

Got a Question for ya, Charista.

I have 2 quests:

1 segment for 271300 XP

4 segment for 1298500 XP

Average_XP is 347,500

If I follow your reasoning I Should take the quest with 1 segment.
Am I right to assume that?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Adventurer

217300+3x347500=1313800.
That's barely more than your 4 segment sure thing. So, personally I'd go for the 4 segment. It's not much less than your average, and your chances to get less than that with your next 3 segments are higher than the chances to get more.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Adventurer

No, Vizari, the chances to get less are most certainly not lower. That's the whole point of an average. If the chances to get less than that were lower, the average would be lower.

Unless you can demonstrate a non-linear relationship in the quests, 50% of your quests will have less XP than the average and 50% more. I've recorded enough quests that I'm satisfied that relationship is true.

You are right that the bread and butter of XP Addiction is the long, higher than average quest. For the guy that skips quests, he'll probably take the long one in this instance, because it saves him money. But the shorter one is better for everyone else. Slightly higher XP overall, better chance of equipment, more chances for shrooms, and better chance of a new sticker for the album.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Truffle Shuffler

first off, thanks for writing this post (quite impressive btw).

excluding the scrapbook, is it fair to say there's an avg xp/seg based on characters level? If so, don't suppose you've done any calculations identifying that value per level (or it's something quickly/easily determined)?

I've got to be honest, math has never been my strong suit and I definitely don't have the patient to track and calculate my avg to start making optimal quest choices (therefore was hoping to ride the coat tails of someone who has).

elk
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Adventurer

Sorry, elk, I could have recorded my average over my advancement, but I didn't. That data is lost to me.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to calculate your average. Just record your XP before and after a day's questing, and divide the difference by the amount of thirst you used, then multiply by your segment length. If a guild war was won during your questing, subtract that XP, but if you didn't catch it, just include it. It won't cause much error if it is included.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charista For This Useful Post:
DominicS (09-25-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Awesome post. I made this forum account just to give props.
There is one thing though that I think might want to be considered...

In the same way that it is benificial to take a shorter quest with a lower exp/segment than a longer quest with a higher exp/segment if all of your available quest are below your average exp/segment...
Then wouldn't it also be better to take a longer quest with a lower exp/segment if comparing two quest that are both higher than your average exp/segment?

For example... and these numbers are just made up off the top of my head... for ease of use in this example...

Lets say your average exp/segment is 10k/1
Quest 1 40k/2 or... 20k/1
vs
Quest 2 70k/4 or... 17.5k/1

Both quest are above your average ratio of 10k/1 and your instinctual thought is to choose quest 1... because... look at that awsome ratio! It's 20k/1!!

But if you consider the value of 2 more segments of what has already been established as your average exp/segment...

Quest 1 40k/2 + 10k/1 + 10k/1 = 60k/4
vs
Quest 2 70k/4

You can clearly see the value in taking the 2nd... longer quest... over the shorter quest... even though the first quest has a better ratio.

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Truffle Shuffler

And.... forget my entire previous post... I had apperently missed this portion.... so everything I said has already been covered...

Don't I feel silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charista View Post
Things can get a little more complex.

Code:
Quest 1: 1 seg, 200000
Quest 2: 3 seg, 610000
Quest 3: 4 seg, 790000
All are good, and above average. Which is best?

Code:
Quest 1: 1 seg, 200000+3x150000 = 650000
Quest 2: 3 seg, 610000+1x150000 = 760000
Quest 3: 4 seg, 790000
Quest 3, by a little bit. Why? Subtracting quest 3 from 2, you get 180000, which is the reward for the last segment of Quest 3, and that is more than the 150000 average. Quest 3 gives you three quests at 610000 total, but one more above average segment.

And that's it.