Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Community Area

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you think the Banhammer will effect the Hall of Fame?
High Ranking players will drop 5 12.50%
Some Guilds will be majorly affected 13 32.50%
No difference 13 32.50%
Don't know/Don't care 12 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Question Bot Banning speculations

With the banhammer starting to take effect, I was wandering how that will affect the Hall of Fame. Please be civil in your response to this. I'm sort of a speculation geek, but I do not have enough experience in the game as far as longevity to really guess the results.

So I am taking a poll. Any feedback from the more experienced player would be great!

Last edited by Lady Java; 11-04-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add a line
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Java For This Useful Post:
DominicS (11-04-2011), ToscanToss (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Blacksmith

I have no clue of the statistics regarding bot-users, so I'm not even feeling informed enough to begin speculating on its impact on HoC rankings...

Intriguing question though - you got me all curious...

Other questions that came to mind after seeing the announcements: how effective is the detector? Considering all the bugs S&F has given us: what's the likelihood of false positives?

And finally: how serious will 'enforcement' be? Because, if I take enforcement of their rules regarding multiple accounts, all I heard from official channels is "we take it very seriously." All I ever heard from actual players is "they don't really care/ not an issue/ go ahead and do it," etc.

Still haven't done either, not worth it, and this game eats up enough time and money as it is, but I'm mildly sceptical at this point.

(And to respect your request, Lady Java, to remain civil in this thread, I won't even venture a mild opinion about botters, cos no matter how mild, I'm afraid it'd lead to yelling eventually, or a flame war. )

I wish I had clue as to the outcome, sorry - guess I'll just join in, waiting for some predictions expectantly, Lady J... Thanks for creating the thread and the poll, this looks interesting.

[edit] I'd vote "IDK" but it has "IDC" attached to it, which isn't the case, so I'm abstaining...

Last edited by ToscanToss; 11-04-2011 at 06:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToscanToss For This Useful Post:
DominicS (11-04-2011), Lady Java (11-04-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Stable Boy

I don't think there will be any long term changes for HoF or guild rankings. A top player being banned for a week or two isn't going to drop the player out of the rankings long term. The same is true with guilds.

The only exception would be the player/s who quit the game over the matter. That would have long term HoF and maybe guild ranking impact.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscanToss View Post
Other questions that came to mind after seeing the announcements: how effective is the detector? Considering all the bugs S&F has given us: what's the likelihood of false positives?

And finally: how serious will 'enforcement' be? Because, if I take enforcement of their rules regarding multiple accounts, all I heard from official channels is "we take it very seriously." All I ever heard from actual players is "they don't really care/ not an issue/ go ahead and do it," etc.

Still haven't done either, not worth it, and this game eats up enough time and money as it is, but I'm mildly sceptical at this point.

(And to respect your request, Lady Java, to remain civil in this thread, I won't even venture a mild opinion about botters, cos no matter how mild, I'm afraid it'd lead to yelling eventually, or a flame war. )

I wish I had clue as to the outcome, sorry - guess I'll just join in, waiting for some predictions expectantly, Lady J... Thanks for creating the thread and the poll, this looks interesting.

[edit] I'd vote "IDK" but it has "IDC" attached to it, which isn't the case, so I'm abstaining...
I am going to assume that the enforcement is real Toscan. It would be a pretty elaborate ruse to try to get rid of botters if it wasn't. But as we know from playing other games, some people don't care until they get caught.

Then they want to cry foul and how they have been "unfairly" accused of doing something they did not do even in the face of irrevocably evidence.

I only included the IDC part in the poll for the more apathetic players in the game. Thanks for sharing TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilp View Post
I don't think there will be any long term changes for HoF or guild rankings. A top player being banned for a week or two isn't going to drop the player out of the rankings long term. The same is true with guilds.

The only exception would be the player/s who quit the game over the matter. That would have long term HoF and maybe guild ranking impact.
Good points Quilp I forgot that some of the bans will only be temporary.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Adventurer

Banning is different from Suspension, Quilp. Suspension is temporary.

The Banhammer is permanent. Those that are getting the beat down are gone for good.

And because I warned Zombunnies not to get trapped by the Oktoberfest trick on the first day, some stopped botting and not as many will be lost as would have happened if itzKoopa had not announced the Bot Detector.

Oh, and in my experience (and tracking) it's not the highest level players that will be lost. They started before the Bots even existed, and played correctly. It's the mid-level players that started in Fall 2010 that were the most prevalent users of the Bots.
Time of Death: 17:32 PDT November 14, 2011
It has passed into Myth and Legend.

http://zombunny.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=236408

Last edited by Charista; 11-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charista For This Useful Post:
Lady Java (11-05-2011), ToscanToss (11-06-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Stable Boy

"The ban period ranges depending on how long the guilty player has been botting.

Just a reminder: Playa does not discuss actions taken against accounts with anyone but the registered email."

This is what was posted and it speaks for itself. Now, if they want to change that to read the bans will be permanent then what I said would be mistaken. As far as who was botting and who wasn't; I haven't got a clue. But I still don't think this will have any long term affect on the rankings. That is just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quilp For This Useful Post:
ToscanToss (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Assassin

Send a message via ICQ to iTZKooPA Send a message via AIM to iTZKooPA

The bans coming from the bot are temporary due to the circumstances, it being a new tech and the general ignorance of the larger playerbase.

Multiaccounting results in permanent bans for the extra accounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to iTZKooPA For This Useful Post:
ToscanToss (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Adventurer

Okay, I just checked Urban Dictionary, and it seems my terminology is old. We always distinguished permanent (ban) from temporary (suspension), but that was 10 years ago. Ban has come to mean prevention of access for any period of time, from minutes to permanent. My apologies.
Time of Death: 17:32 PDT November 14, 2011
It has passed into Myth and Legend.

http://zombunny.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=236408
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Sheep

this happens in every game and always ends the same way the guilty scream they are innocent when they get temp banned lets just hope this isnt like other games where the big spenders who bot are ignored while the free players get banned for using bots

edit: i wouldnt expect to see a change in the HOF mainly because this round is just a beta test of the bot detector and im sure it will be just as buggy as anything else they have released but its a step in right direction so im pleased

Last edited by Sam; 11-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
ToscanToss (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charista View Post
Okay, I just checked Urban Dictionary, and it seems my terminology is old. We always distinguished permanent (ban) from temporary (suspension), but that was 10 years ago. Ban has come to mean prevention of access for any period of time, from minutes to permanent. My apologies.
I think we should work to bring back the old way, C. I'm with you in my understanding and frankly, English is bad enough without making other distinct words into synonyms. I'm hoping that in traditional publications this distinction is still held. I imagine 'ban' got turned into 'suspension' in the natural course of evolution in the interwebs: high emotions and knee jerk reactions, quickly editable access rights, and logical deletes allowing cooler heads to prevail and 'undo' bans afterward, making the indicated ban into only a suspension. ... leading people to talk about how a player was banned, but for only a few days. I've even convinced myself now!!

In honesty though, when indicating a future punishment, I think ban should still mean permanent, and suspension should be the term used to indicate that access will be returned after a duration.

[/2cent rant]