Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Bugs & Complaints

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Community Manager

Some questions to all who have problems logging in to w1 via wifi:

Does this problem only occur on your phone or also on your computer (browser version)?

What router do you have? Does it support 2.4ghz and 5 ghz?
Which of them is active?
Do you use a repater? Is bridge mode active?
How is your overall connection (quality, speed)?

Everything also depends on your provider.
Try disconnecting your router (switch it off and back on after 3 minutes) - do you notice a change?

Shakes & Fidget Community Manager
leander@playa-support.com

Like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Leander; 10-28-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Community Manager

New details!

Sounds like a backbone/routing problem. Please perform a traceroute and send us the details! Do it for w1 and for a different server and compare the results!

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet...raceroute.html

Old 10-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Some questions to all who have problems logging in to w1 via wifi:

Does this problem only occur on your phone or also on your computer (browser version)?

What router do you have? Does it support 2.4ghz and 5 ghz?
Which of them is active?
Do you use a repater? Is bridge mode active?
How is your overall connection (quality, speed)?

Everything also depends on your provider.
Try disconnecting your router (switch it off and back on after 3 minutes) - do you notice a change?
1) it happens on both my computer and my cell phone, and I have never been able to get in with one and not the other. If I connect with my cell phone and then switch on wifi, it loses the connection.
2) It happens in multiple wifi spots. I have been unable to connect through several sites in New Jersey and Connecticut. I was able to to connect in Troy, NY last weekend.
3) my home wifi has 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. I usually connect at 2.4 ghz. I just tried 5 ghz and it appeared to connect, but the signal was weak. When I moved closer to the router (5 bars vs 2) it disconnected, so I assume it was defaulting to 4G rather than actually connecting through wifi.
4) I just ran a speed test from my laptop. 56 mb/sec down, 25 mb/s up.
5) It is not just wifi. I have a PC connected to the router through gb ethernet, and it will not connect either
6) I play on US server 1 and international server 1. I can connect to the US server without any problems on the same devices and at the same time that I cannot connect to the international server. So the problem really seems to be not with my wifi but with the international server. which is bizarre, because then why can I connect in Troy, NY?

As an aside, the new iphone ap just updated, so I can now at least access the new content.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Community Manager

We have received some traceroutes with ping times. Seems there is a problem for US players with slow ISP, backbones and connections to Germany. It's nothing we can change, sorry.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
We have received some traceroutes with ping times. Seems there is a problem for US players with slow ISP, backbones and connections to Germany. It's nothing we can change, sorry.

I'm sorry, and this is not to be rude, but if this was the case, then the two players I have been most in contact with would not be able to connect to us s1 and w12 with no problem. Grog (spiny) connects to s1 - no issues. GreyRacer, who has sent in multiple reports, can get on w12, no problem.

They are only unable to connect to W1. I'm sorry, Leander, but it has to be something with W1 that got changed.

If it was a slow connection, they would not be able to get on the other servers. They can, so it traces back to W1.

I have all the respect in the world for you and Playa, but can't let this be swept under the rug with an answer that doesn't logically make sense.

Please ask them to look again. Why can they log onto one server, but not W1??

Behind every crazy woman is a man who made her that way! *AMEN!*

Last edited by MedusasSnakes; 11-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Crusader

It may be related to the physical location of the different servers, but that is just a thought.

Today I was in Tarrytown, NY and hooked up through an unsecured wifi hot spot with a very weak connection. Surprisingly, I was able to connect to international server 1, which I can't do from either home or work with much stronger signals.

And as I noted, my home internet is over 50 mb/sec down and 25 mb/sec up. I just ran a ping test on DSLreports.com, and it was rated A, with the pings to european servers between 3 and 5 msec although none are in germany.

Now I will admit that I really don't know what I am talking about here, but that sounds like a pretty solid connection from my end. And I never had a problem until a couple of weeks back, a few days before I started this thread. I would also think that if the issue was the quality of the connection to the internet backbone that either (1) I would have problems with the speed of other web based applications as well or (2) the problem would be intermittent. Neither is true. Since this became a problem I have not been able to connect through wifi to international server 1 either from my PC or my phone from either home or work. Not once. But the LTE connection from my phone connects instantly.

edited to add: just ran another ping tests. Most ping times were 4-6 msec, with all in Europe 8 msec or less...except Germany, which was 23-25 msec. So I ran it again. ping times to germany now all under 7 msec. Still won't connect to the German server.

If I can ping Germany in 7 msec, hard to see that my connection to the backbone is the problem.

Last edited by spiny norman; 11-01-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback!

Seems almost only US players have this problem. According to our research and the date we have gathered, some US providers might have problems connecting to the server w1 runs on. I don't know if it is possible to send your ping results to your provider and ask them for an explanation or solution.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:36 PM

This might seem odd but I have seen it happen first hand. It could be a bad router. I had issues logging in to the forums and a couple other sites when on wifi and hard wired into the router but if hardwired into the modem everything was fine.

Oh I should add this is a possibility but I feel it is more so that something is going on with w1 as there are so many ppl having the issue in one form or another. But it may be worth the check just incase.

have fun, fight hard, die honorably

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz

Last edited by bobo baggins; 11-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins View Post
This might seem odd but I have seen it happen first hand. It could be a bad router. I had issues logging in to the forums and a couple other sites when on wifi and hard wired into the router but if hardwired into the modem everything was fine.

Oh I should add this is a possibility but I feel it is more so that something is going on with w1 as there are so many ppl having the issue in one form or another. But it may be worth the check just incase.
Agreed, as I have HAD that bad router.

On the other hand, we have GreyRacer who can't get in with DATA on W1, but can log on seconds before or seconds after to W12.

He traveled a couple of weeks ago from Kansas to Colorado, different states, different networks, still could log onto W12, but still could not log into W1 with his data plan.

This ALL started on October 13th. Before that day, log-in was just fine.

I don't know a blasted thing about ping times, connection errors, why this does that, but when it is explained to me, and seems logical, I'm all in agreement and it makes sense.

THIS - this on-going nightmare doesn't make sense to me in the least.

Behind every crazy woman is a man who made her that way! *AMEN!*
The Following User Says Thank You to MedusasSnakes For This Useful Post:
spiny norman (11-19-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Yeah I don't understand it either and was just throwing something out there hoping it would stick.

have fun, fight hard, die honorably

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz