Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Community Area

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Sheep

Default If you could play again what class would you be?

I'm just curious. I believe if I was going to play again I'd be a mage. I like my scout, but it's just entirely too luck based and I don't think that the evade ability is actually that effective.

The scouts advantage over a warrior is our evade and slightly higher damage. A warrior can still block me which is just like an evade and because it is a 25% chance to block every time a string of bad luck will do me in especially since their constitution is so high and their armor negates a large amount of my damage.

It's true a mage can't dodge, but their damage is just so much higher. A well built mage can have enough Con to withstand a warrior and just blasts scouts away.

A scout is fun, but I'm just not a luck player. I kind of like win because of the way my stats are built so mage is appropriate for me I think.

This is not a complaint about the game, just my own personal observations and playing preference.

Would anyone else change from their specific class to someone else? I am especially interested because I might start a character on server 2 and I wanted to know if mage characters wished they were someone else based on their playing style.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Adventurer

My s1 character is a warrior. I love my warrior. The math is pretty stable and damage growth isn't absurd like for mages and scouts, so staying competitive is actually doable.

My s2 character is a mage. It is a very different experience. While a warrior can be specced with high con starting out and pretty much all the tavern trash is cake, a mage has such low hp that the danger of losing is a real concern. Then again, part of that reason might be the new tavern quest scaling scheme pre-level 10. (Leveled too fast without city guard to compensate in stats?)

If s3 opens up, or I get bored enough, I might roll a scout. From what I understand, the scout's 'luck' factor actually gives them a huge advantage against non-Int dungeon monsters and VERY fast arena climbs (200 honor pulls!). Losing 4 times but having the odds to win just ONCE can net a phat arena gold pull, epic dungeon pull, and push through the honor rankings right quick.

If I recall, Scouts have a very negligible HP handicap relative to warriors and competent armor mitigation compared to mages. In guild war, at least, they can be the pin that turns the tide of battle since when they DO luck out, they take ~0 damage. Mages don't get that advantage, and warriors' 25% does NOT have the same variability.

I think one of the things that other threads on this subject mention is that players really ought to choose a class that suits their personality and play to their strengths rather than trying to compensate for weaknesses. The great thing now is that you can get to level 10 within a couple of days instead of a week like before, so if you feel like re-rolling because your class doesn't gel well you can do so with a minimum of exploratory investment (just, ya know, don't confirm the e-mail).
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Mushroom Collector

Funny cause I'm a mage here and a tank on S2. I would go archer next

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaChameleon View Post
I'm just curious. I believe if I was going to play again I'd be a mage. I like my scout, but it's just entirely too luck based and I don't think that the evade ability is actually that effective.

The scouts advantage over a warrior is our evade and slightly higher damage. A warrior can still block me which is just like an evade and because it is a 25% chance to block every time a string of bad luck will do me in especially since their constitution is so high and their armor negates a large amount of my damage.

It's true a mage can't dodge, but their damage is just so much higher. A well built mage can have enough Con to withstand a warrior and just blasts scouts away.

A scout is fun, but I'm just not a luck player. I kind of like win because of the way my stats are built so mage is appropriate for me I think.

This is not a complaint about the game, just my own personal observations and playing preference.

Would anyone else change from their specific class to someone else? I am especially interested because I might start a character on server 2 and I wanted to know if mage characters wished they were someone else based on their playing style.
I come to give your throat a smile with a simple cue, for it is but your purse and life I persue. Again and again I find myself with another body to turn blue. For you see, I am the stuff of nightmares, your worst dreams come true. Proud member of "none" For those we have defeated, hope your wounds are healing well. For those in front of us, , , we are comming.

http://forum.sfgame.us/showpost.php?p=4985&postcount=80
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Have high level mage (lvl 129') on s1 and have gone with a scout on s2 on account of how much I have been whipped by them.

So far I feel they are definitely more capable, however do absolutely despise scout v scout battles on account of how random they are. Best example would be a dungeon fight around level 40 or so. Lost the fight without taking a single hp off the monster! Was annoyed and used a shroom to have another shot and beat it!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Sheep

Lol I suppose the grass is always greener. I think I was just getting fed up by the lack of dodging on my personal scouts part. Literally (and I do mean literally) in the last 6 guild battles my scout has dodged a grand total of 8 times. It's like someone got him drunk and he just stands there and gets his butt kicked.

I do realize that it is a 50% chance every time and therefore it is possible to get hit every time, but I was hoping a mage with a high con and int stat would do well.

I guess there's nothing to do but try on s2 and see how it goes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Adventurer

I've got a warrior now, and he's getting pretty decent. I'd originally wanted to reroll as a Scout, as they kept beating my warrior. If I were going to start again, now though, I'd go with a mage. Big bang weaponry, and stand toe to toe with any opponent. Best thing, their battles are SHORT. I don't even watch most of mine anymore, and never against a scout. Takes too darn long!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Can't complain too much as the scout so far, only irritating thing has been luck with dungeon keys :p need d6 to drop so can wipe out the lvl 92 and 98, currently on the 102 octopus whilst waiting for that key :-/
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Stable Boy

S1 is a warrior
I made a mage on S2 within 1 day i deleted my account and made a warrior
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post
S1 is a warrior
I made a mage on S2 within 1 day i deleted my account and made a warrior
lol. mages are a trip and a half after you've played a warrior.

Losing >10% of my early tavern quests did NOT make me happy. I think I've finally hit stride now, though. Need a good staff and enough Con to survive the npcs. Need better Int to roll over the players. None of those things is possible until after you've "paid your dues" in the early levels .
Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Adventurer

i'm a scout on s1 which is sometimes relatively boring. and by sometimes, i mean all the time.

on the UK server i'm a mage, which is sometimes relatively boring. and by sometimes, i mean all the time.

would i make a third account to be a warrior? no. because you know how it goes. three strikes and cashew's out.

i'm finding the higher the level i am on both servers, the less interest i have in the game in general. it's fun at lower levels because you're never quite sure if you're going to win against the quest monsters (especially as a mage. ugh), but when you get to be a higher level you often one- or two-shot them on a regular basis. sure, dungeon monsters can be challenging, but when you deem a "challenge" as only being FIVE levels below the dungeon monster instead of 10-15, then it gets a little thumb-twiddling.

i want guild dungeons