Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Help & Questions > Character Advice

Notices

Character Advice Need help building your avatar? You've come to the right place.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Sheep

Default Upgrading Luck

One thing I learned from playing World of Warcraft is that the mathematical model for determining the best stats to invest in can be complex, and can change from one day to the next depending on your current gear and the stats on it.

In S&F, I don't see many people upgrading Luck, which improves critical hit chance. However, I think this may be a mistake, since you will get an increasingly smaller payoff from each point of your primary stat, whereas every 1% increase in crit chance always equals 1% more damage (unless there are hidden counters to this built within the combat system).

The downside is that your Luck score is "normalized" with each level, meaning your crit chance decreases each time you level up. However, one thing we don't see in a game like WoW is an increasing cost for each point in an attribute.

So it's complicated here too.

Has any member of the US or German community modeled PvP combat in S&F and published guides showing the best point investments as they scale over time, by class?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skulltaker For This Useful Post:
BLut Mit (05-24-2010), nathan31197 (08-15-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Blacksmith

at the beginning, i wouldnt spend too much gold at luck, becaus if yooure level 20 and higher, you wil find items, which give you +160 luck and more, at my german char ive got three items, which give all together 775 luck, thats the half of my luck.

Before you ask, search here for it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayman For This Useful Post:
Kaldaron (04-18-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Mushroom Collector

Might not be important, but I believe you need 20 luck per level to maintain 50%.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via AIM to FluffCake

Well luck is mostly a bugger because it's not consistent as you level/otherwise. If it was consistent I'm sure more people would upgrade it but then most people would just be pulling off critical hits every time they took a swing.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Adventurer

The point is that your opponent's level is taken into account when your crit chance is computed (hold your mouse pointer over the term "critical hit" in the character window to see the formula).
The reason why the chance seems to be "downsized" each level is that the value for critical hit given in the character window is just an example, computed for an opponent of the same level as you have. If you battle foes of a lower level, your actual crit chance will be somewhat higher (up to 50%), while against opponents of higher level, it will be lower than indicated.

Luck can be a great asset in any fight, since it allows you to double the damage you make. However, crit chance is exactly that - a chance. It does depend from real life luck - you can score 10 critical hits in 10 rounds, or not a single one in 100 rounds. Therefore, the luck stat is helpful, but a lot less dependable than your primary stat (base damage) or constitution (hit points).
The Following User Says Thank You to LabRat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Dummy

Like many other users frankly Luck seems rather useless. I'm a warrior, and in my opinion its better to use all my money on str, why? because look at it this way

With 50% crit, you have 50% each hit to do double the damage
it just seems simpler to add more points into str and do 25% more damage 100% of the time you know.

I think thats why most people add to str and not luck.

Luck would be a great asset if a crit hit does more then double dmg though.
Play Time: About a month
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Dummy

The issue with Itzme's point is that there is a point where increasing your luck will benefit in higher damage per round on average than increasing your strength will. You have to find a balance that you like.

If you have really high damage with no crit, you will lost battles to people who get crits when they need them, and you'll have no chance for that to happen to you as well.
If you have low damage and really high crit, you'll crit like a little girl because you hit like a little girl.

If you want the highest average damage per hit, you need to balance both of the stats.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Sheep

I like luck a lot. I go Con > Luck > Int myself.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanodie View Post
The issue with Itzme's point is that there is a point where increasing your luck will benefit in higher damage per round on average than increasing your strength will. You have to find a balance that you like.

If you have really high damage with no crit, you will lost battles to people who get crits when they need them, and you'll have no chance for that to happen to you as well.
If you have low damage and really high crit, you'll crit like a little girl because you hit like a little girl.

If you want the highest average damage per hit, you need to balance both of the stats.
good job
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzme77 View Post
Luck would be a great asset if a crit hit does more then double dmg though.
my weapon dmg is 858-2134...and I just did this:

"You had 2784 hit points and your opponent 8448 when combat started.
After 5 rounds, you had 386 life and your opponent -9509."

o.O

I think crits do more than double dmg...cuz I crit for OVER 9000!