Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Help & Questions > Character Advice

Notices

Character Advice Need help building your avatar? You've come to the right place.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Crusader

I just did a calculation. My int and con are at roughly the same cost. i added 1 point to int, and it raised my damage by .028%. I then added 1 point to con, and it raised my hit points by .032% (I should mention that I am using a 25% int potion, a 25% con potion, and a potel). I have been using the assumption that damage and hit points are symmetric: living 1% longer is just as good as doing 1% more damage. This suggests that I should be putting slightly more into con than into int, since I'm getting a bigger percentage jump in con than int per unit spent, due to the potel.

Or at least this should be the case against scouts and warriors. Against mages int also adds to my defense. not sure how this affects the equation.

Is this sound logic?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 PM

I have done it 2 way my first 7 toons are:
1)
100% main stat
80% con
roughly 50% luck (I just try to keep it around 25%-35% crit)
other 2 stats around 10%-20%

2)
my last 3 toons

main and con same cost
luck same as first 7 keeping crit around 25%-35%
other 2 stats 10%-20%

I have found them both to work good for me the second one you start off a little slower against other players but once the stats build up I tend to do better.

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Blacksmith

Not sure if the math will work out in the end or not, but because your total hit points are affected by both the con pot and the poel (which increases total hit point percentage, which depends on your con stat), whereas your damage only benefits from your int and weapon damage (the latter of which is mostly static so can be safely ignored from the equation as most constants are), you have two pots contributing toward your % gain for hit points, while only 1 pot will assist in your damage gain. This probably is the reason why your hit points result in a higher % gain per con stat compared to damage from int.

Also, mages benefit the least from hit points between the three classes and are designed to unload as much damage as possible in as few hits as possible, which is why we can ignore armor, block, and evade from the other two classes. To focus on hit points instead as your primary stat is to make your strongest trait dull and more well rounded. Like the fellow who makes his warrior have str, dex, and int, all equal stats. Except you would need to increase your con stat significantly higher than your int stat for it to make any noticeable change to your character. Any less and you're still doing more damage than your health is contributing towards damage absorption (that is, how much hit points will contribute towards keeping you alive, vs how much damage will contribute towards killing your target faster).

Last edited by Jengas; 07-04-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Crusader

Thanks. It seems to me the decision should depend on whether or not I am using both a constitution potion and a potel. With both, I think points into constitution are more valuable than points into intelligence: in the example I gave .032 vs .028 is about 14% better. So I'm thinking that as long as I'm keeping the poetl and con potions active I should put points into cons until they are roughly 14% more expensive than points in int.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Blacksmith

Spiny, you're free to do what you want, but eh...like I said earlier, I don't think you're really benefiting that much from con comparable to the other two classes. So even if you are getting more hit point per gold invested into con, you aren't getting the same amount of hit points that a scout or warrior might get per point into con with the same conditions. However, your damage increase will be more significant comparable to the other two classes (and ultimately assisting damage against your own class as well), due to your ability to ignore armor and class abilities, which they can't.

Simply put, if you and the other two classes started off with the same amount of main stat, con, and luck. And each of you put primary focus into the con stat, Warriors will gain 5*con, Scouts will gain 4*con, and you will gain 2*con. By prioritizing hit points over damage, you'll eventually put yourself at a disadvantage against all 3 classes, since the other two will gain hit points at a much faster rate, and you will be gaining both damage and hit points at a slower rate. So I don't think you're capitalizing on what mages can do best. That's my 2 cents anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jengas For This Useful Post:
bobo baggins (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Crusader

I've had battles that I've lost by a fraction of a percent or won by a fraction of a percent, where one extra point in con or one extra point in intelligence would have made the difference. That's why I was comparing the percentage gains in offense or defense. I am assuming that if I increase my hit points by 10% I will last 10% longer in a battle, and if I increase my damage by 10% my opponent will last 10% shorter.

If offense is more important than defense for mages, then as time goes on mage battles for optimally configured mages should get shorter and shorter: a level 10 mage battle would last, say, 10 hits, a level 50 battle 5 hits, a level 100 battle 2 hits, and a level 200 battle 1 hit, for example. Is there any evidence that this is the case?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Blacksmith

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're starting the battle formula at that last hit instead from the beginning of the fight by saying that last 10% of health would've helped you on that last hit, but that 8-9% damage would not have helped as significantly at that very last hit.

Say you did increased damage than you had health, then each hit would be affected by your increased damage, whereas your increased health will most likely be consumed within one hit (having the smallest health of all 3 classes, even more so). So health would be additive whereas damage would be multiplicative. This is why going main stat over health is recommended for all 3 classes because the amount of damage increases with each consecutive swing (thereby influencing the outcome of the battle more heavily), whereas your hit points are constant throughout the fight, which could be seen as a one-time bonus at the beginning of the fight. Even if we say that the extra health affords us one more hit, thereby influencing damage, that additional hit itself is simply an additive bonus, compared to the multiplicative bonus you gain from increasing damage. Add to that the fact that you do greatest damage of all 3 classes. So that last hit scenario is really not taking the whole picture into consideration.

Now your last argument assumes that going hit points will necessarily improve the situation by choosing it instead of damage. The answer is no to both scenarios. You aren't 1-hitting people when you get to my level (obviously this game would be unbalanced against the other two classes if this were the case). But the better path towards optimal play is geared toward damage. I can't say it enough. Because you're gaining health at a slower rate than the other two classes, you're really doing yourself disservice by going that route. You will have to hit more times to take down your opponent, and the health gap between you and your opponent at the beginning of the fight will continue to increase, while the gap between your damage and your opponent's will begin to decrease.

You can choose specific situations where this may not be the case, but I don't know if you can do it without ignoring core elements of gameplay that lead up to those situations, which ultimately rely more on damage than health. And even then, those situations are likely rarer than not.

Last edited by Jengas; 07-05-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Intellegence and Constitution's effects are not linear you can not compare them linearly.

You have to consider your level and your weapon damage when deciding to put points in int or con. Level growth is not linear and weapon damage is effected by level growth and toilet level which means weapon damage can grow faster than level.

Remember each point of damage you do is multiplied by the number of rounds in the fight where every health point is only 1 point of defense towards the enemies damage.

If you want to compare that next point you have to do a straight comparison at your current stats you have to assume how many rounds each fight will last and multiply that by your increase in damage compared to your increase in health. You also have to make the consideration based on cost for those points, if your next point in int is twice the cost of a point in con then you need to consider where your gold is better spent.

With all things considered, I've found keeping your int and con base stats near the same works well with a tendency to level stats in chunks int first then con and to prefer int equipment over con equipment.