Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Community Area

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Adventurer

Default What does your S&F name mean?

Does your in-game/forum name have any particular or special meaning? We quite a variety of interesting names here, where did they all come from?

"Enquiring minds want to know." Or at least want to waste some time instead of working.

For myself, "Kaida" was a name I came across while looking at baby names for my eldest son. It's a Japanese girl's name meaning "little dragon", and given my love for all things dragon it quickly became the name of choice for all my gaming needs. Having always played female characters whenever possible, it seemed like a natural fit. The "h" at the end is simply taken from the first letter of my last name.

Laugh if you like at my choice of female characters, but, as a guy, I'd rather spend countless hours looking at a female avatar than a male one.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
Read the Shakes & Fidget comics translated into English!
Sprechen sie Deutsche? New German comics here
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Adventurer

Cashew has been my nickname for many, many, MANY years.

Why? Because I'm nutty (d'uh). It really is that simple. I wish I had a cool story to go along with it, but alas...nada.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Adventurer

Felis is a genus in the family Felidae that includes domesticated cats and a few of the smaller wild species. I have always had cats, I am a cat person, so when I choose a female character in an MMORPG (rare, as I find choosing a male character usually means I get harassed less, but I am a girl in real life) Felis is my nom de guerre of choice.

The name I usually go with for these things is Dweomer, like my forum name. An Old English term for witchcraft was "dweomercraft"; more modernly, it's sometimes used in RPGs as the term for an item enchantment. If I'd chosen to play a mage, I might have gone with it as usual.

Last edited by Dweomer; 04-16-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Sheep

I worked on a browser game similar to this for a while, and I named it Devoidfury. I really liked the name, and it seemed fairly unique, so I kept it even though my game died.

devoid - lacking, empty of, not having something expected.

fury - violent/uncontrolled anger.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Blacksmith

Jax is my real life nickname, and the em is me backwards so Jax is me I dunno it's always been my gaming/forum name.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Mushroom Collector

I did a review of a game a while ago, where you could catch a fish named "Trufflesnout" -a fish that made your character so much more lucky to finding awesome items. I kept mixing up the name of the fish to "Snuffletrout" (well at least trout's an acutal fish, eh?) when discussing it, and thus the name was born.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Well i just put in a bunch of random letters on my keyboard and wall-a!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Adventurer

Starting some time before S&F, I used Labrat as my forum nick in some places because in real life, I work at a laboratory. To keep consistent, I used it here as well (and on the German forum).

Yet it didn't feel right as a name for a fantasy game character. So when I created my S&F dark elf mage, I went with Leassa ingame - the name comes from a D&D character I once invented, which happened to be a dark elf mage as well.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Dummy

Betcha guys can never guess where my ingame name comes from

if only there was a smiley for it
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWang View Post
Betcha guys can never guess where my ingame name comes from

if only there was a smiley for it
where it comes from: compensation for a toothpick? <-- the closest emote to what you're trying to convey, on so many different levels.