Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Default 10 Questions

It seems to me, like there are a large number of posts created because people do not look at, much less read the game manual. Perhaps something could be implemented that forces folks to learn the basics that would also prevent bots from creating accounts to benefit someone trying to reach the +12 on the referral medal?

My initial idea is to take away the 10 mushrooms a player gets just from starting an account and not having validated their e-mail account. Instead, give it to them in the form of a quiz. Ask 10 basic questions for which they earn 1 mushroom per right answer. If they guess wrong, you tell them to try again, with that same question. The questions could include stuff such as; How may you add to your total number of mushrooms (insert picture of mushroom and then list all the options with the last choice being "All of the Above"), How do you earn honor, Who is the Community Manager or What position(s) do itzkoopa and Leander hold, Can you have more than one account, Under what conditions can someone else take care of your account, etc.

If the questions include the questions that arise most often, then hopefully folks will start to read the Game manual. There could even be an introduction to the quiz that includes a link to the manual. "Thank you for joining Shakes and Fidget: The Game. Before you begin, we would like to cover some of the most commonly asked questions. Please pick the best answer for the following questions. Each wrong answer will have the question repeated. Each correct answer will earn you the prize of 1 mushroom, which may also be bought for cash at any time. The Game Manualwill have almost every, if not all of the answers for you."

That is example one. If the answers are rearranged each time, then the bots should be deterred and it will force folks to hopefully learn some of the basics.

Example two:
When someone goes to create an account, ask similar questions with a similar introduction but make it part of the process. This could also include stuff from the Terms of Use Agreement such as the fact that multiple accounts are not allowed and the support e-mail address.

Example three: (don't worry, this is the last)
Provide limited access to certain features such as the dungeons, guild, and mail that unlock upon answering correctly a question related to that content. For the dungeons, it could ask "What is the % chance of gaining an epic item per fight (not including the last level of every dungeon)," or for the Tavern it might ask something like "Gambling is really popular and for some reason the Bartender never kicks out the shady character. What must you do first to gamble with mushrooms?"
iTZKooPA (05-03-2010), LabRat (05-03-2010), moreum (08-12-2010)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Adventurer

I think that this is an excellent suggestion for reducing both player confusion and unnecessary questions about basic functions.

Although...answering everyone's questions has helped to boost both our post counts.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
Read the Shakes & Fidget comics translated into English!
Sprechen sie Deutsche? New German comics here
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaidah For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-31-2011)
Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Assassin

Send a message via ICQ to iTZKooPA Send a message via AIM to iTZKooPA

No easy feat to implement and execute properly, but I love the idea of making the FAQ more interactive and having new players be more educated from the get go.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Blacksmith

Even just a tutorial I think would alleviate some of the confusion.
After you create your character the game just dumps you in the town with no instructions at all.

Although a quiz would be a better way to earn the mushrooms instead of validating your email. You still have to validate your email before you can donate to your guild anyway.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Adventurer

I love this idea. Such a quiz could be just the right incentive to get people to take a closer look at manual and FAQ.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Griffin

sounds like a good idea, but it may turn new players away from the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to gensou For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-31-2011)
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensou View Post
I don't see how. Most games have a tutorial of some kind.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
Read the Shakes & Fidget comics translated into English!
Sprechen sie Deutsche? New German comics here
Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather start playing a game that shows some concern that its players learn how to play correctly instead of just tossing them into the water.

Provided, of course, that the questions aren't condescendingly-written...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
The questions Bullbound proposed wouldn't be too hard to answer with a little reading into the manual. After all, the idea ist not to prevent people to get their bonus mushrooms, but to get people to learn how the game is played.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Blacksmith

Most games have some kind of tutorial anyway and people play them. This would be the S&F version and in my opinion a lot less annoying than the games that teach you how to make your character walk.