Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
The questions Bullbound proposed wouldn't be too hard to answer with a little reading into the manual. After all, the idea ist not to prevent people to get their bonus mushrooms, but to get people to learn how the game is played.
And they would take care of the multiple posts that pop up repeatedly. I think we have had 2 or 3 threads asking about dungeon keys in less than 4 days, for example.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Griffin

I liked the idea of the 10 questions as well as the tutorial as long as it is not mandatory... Lets face it the majority of players just hop on to play these types of games in their spare time and they may never read the Manual or even sign up for these forums. If you had the incentive though as mentioned by earning some mushrooms for doing so, then that may help. I feel however that no matter what you do, you are always going to get questions about a game even though the question may be easily found. It is just the nature of the beast with these types of games, so the real question is, is it worth the game developers time to implement these types of things when they will only probably slightly change things anyways?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wacker For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-31-2011)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Mushroom Collector

Id have to say thats a good idea. Im one of those guys that skimmed the FAq very quickly and started a dungeon key thread (yes im ashamed). But i believe this is a heck of a good idea that would be great to implement.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Send a message via Yahoo to Beanhead III

And not to mention, but I also think adding a question directly related to the use of the "SEARCH FUNCTION" would also be a definite must in the top 3 questions (not picking on Bullbound, but I have seen numerous posts stating "Use the Search Function" and it seems to be close to being the number one "word" topic!) I know Bullbound gets frustrated because half of these could easily be answered! But I support you Bullbound's tact, and as I have learned from Bullbound, I now extensively use & exhaust the search function before I ever post! (Except "Hangman"-lol )
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Adventurer

Perhaps we would be better served with a minor tutorial, maybe for new players the first time they click a button 'Tavern' 'Arena' 'City Gaurd' etc. they get a pop up of, or are redirected to, the appropriate section of the manual, and then after reading that section they are asked a question and rewarded with a mushroom if they are right if they are wrong they get a 'wrong answer, please try again' message and then it changes to a slightly different question with the answer in the same section, then they can try again as many times as they like untill they get the answer right.

That should both ensure new players read the manual and get the level of knowlege they would be seeking soon on the boards here anyway.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Given how few people are prepared to read the manual and have a quick look through forums not sure a tutorial would work that well.

Plus it would have to include some form of skip option for when new servers come out and experienced players start their characters there.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Mushroom Collector

Post i like the tutorial idea

having a running tutorial (i.e. the first time in the tavern, the first stats upgrade, etc) would interfere little with game flow and help new players. I agree with some other posts that some players just aren't going to read the manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbo For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-31-2011)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Send a message via Yahoo to Beanhead III

Of course, if anything is going to work, I believe it best for it to involve something to do with getting those first 25 free !
Yes, we get 15 to boot and another 10 to verify email. The verification of email directly assists to ensure bogus char's are not created and limits the player to one char in general. (yes, I am sure there are plenty of loopholes with that) But my point being, Let us say, start with 5 for creating your char and submiting your email. the next 5 free mushrooms are given on a 5 question random quiz of the manual. 5 correct answers get you 5 ! 4 correct answers give you 0 total. But in a one hour later (just like the dungeon, the player gets another chance to get all 5 right, if so, then the 5 are given, if not, they wait another hour before they can take the quiz again.) This would keep people from just simply guessing at the answers and getting lucky.
Ok, so far we have the 1st 10 free mushrooms covered, for the next 5 , have it be given out after each tutorial has been completed for each area (tavern, Weapons Shop, Guard duty etc.) Once all tutorials are completed, 5 more are given. The last 10 keep the same, for verification of email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Plus it would have to include some form of skip option for when new servers come out and experienced players start their characters there.
As far as when a new server comes out, one, it may or may not be the exact same version as the previous with all the updates, secondly, it is unlikely a player will create several char's for himself, normally an experienced player would know all the answers anyways and could breeze right through it all without a skip option.

Last edited by Beanhead III; 08-09-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Mushroom Collector

I agree
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Truffle Shuffler

The idea is great, and it would help tremendously for those for us who didn't learn l33t in 2nd grade and who actually grew up with black and white TV (Yes, its true... Black and White TVs are not mythology!)

And I also agree with the idea of using it to gain an additional ten shrooms, as the first bonus ten already serves an excellent service (anti-bot).

There is, however, one major flaw in this theory... The Manual Stinks!

I've read it, re-read it, had it read to me, read it to someone, filtered it through a black and white monitor and read it again, and I still have questions? The manual is more of a quick walk-through of character creation with a few minor tips along the way than an actual manual. A manual should include answers to FAQs and common troubleshooting tips. It should explain how to avoid loss of items due to equipping in the wrong screen, why the mathematical equations compute maximum damage as 1,500 points less than you did in the fight screen and minimum is 750 points more than you did. Etcetera and so forth.

Get a decent manual, then implement this idea!
The Following User Says Thank You to static For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-31-2011)