Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Adventurer

Default Suggestion: Use Search Option Sticky

A number of new players are very enthusiastic about playing the game and are full of wonderful ideas. Not all of these ideas are novel, but most of them tend to be well-intentioned.

In order to harbor positive relations between veteran players, intermediate players, and beginning players I propose that a sticky thread be made in the Suggestions forum outlining the use of the Search function.

The Search Function
The Search Function allows a person browsing the forum to research questions they might have and find answers. This is possible because 99 times out of 100, someone else just starting out with the game had the same question, asked it, and received an answer.

Similarly, human beings are more alike than we might think. When faced with a challenge, we tend to seek out solutions and sometimes our solutions are the same. In the case of Shakes & Fidget, our solution is often to propose a change to the developer, which if implemented would make the gaming experience more palatable. However, since we all tend to face the same problems, we tend to ask for the same changes and duplication becomes inevitable.

The prevailing wisdom of the message board is
"Use the Search Function. If someone already posted a thread on the topic, there is usually not a need for a new thread to be created."

In general, it is poor etiquette to 'necro' a thread that is older than a certain point as it intrinsically denotes that the community has found the subject moot for X number of days/weeks/months. The rule of thumb for what is considered a dead thread varies from message board to message board, but is often 30 days or "third page rule of thumb."

At very minimum, if a thread is still on the first page of a forum, adding another thread that is identical in nature is bad form if not outright spam. For busy forums, just because a thread has been demoted to the second paged doesn't usually imply a license to post a new thread for first page rights without due cause.

The Search function is a good friend. We should all use it liberally before posting 'new'* suggestions.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueDude2 For This Useful Post:
Catcruncher (07-08-2010), Darstard (07-08-2010), moreum (07-08-2010), Xandicia (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Adventurer

I suggested a search blinky a long time ago. *points to "search" button* still white!

While I think this would be an...almost good idea, I don't think it would work. In fact, I KNOW it won't work. Look at all of the "bug reports". Do any of them follow the method for reporting a bug, as per the stickied thread at the top of the forum by Jayman? And I mean other than Malechi. He's a great bug-reporter. I think the answer to that is a resounding "NO".

Just because the thread is stickied doesn't mean people are actually going to read it and do what it says. Even if you make it "mandatory" to read it by directing people to it as soon as they click the "new thread" button, they would just click ahead to the next page without reading. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Good idea in theory, but i have HUGE doubts that it will work in execution.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Adventurer

Meh. For posterity at least. I agree that for a segment of the population it will not work. I also believe there is a segment of the population that is genuinely inexperienced at message board etiquette and a big honking obvious sign saying "Silence in the Library" actually will make a difference to those polite but nouveau individuals.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Y'all mean something like this but have a link to it on every forum?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
Y'all mean something like this but have a link to it on every forum?
Yes, something exactly like that, but stickied in EVERY FORUM. If we assume that a portion of the players that are reposting topics are NOT 10yo with a penchant for not reading things, then it ought to make at least some kind of a difference.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Take a look around, now. Those forums where repetition is common, now have a stickied thread about the search function.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
Take a look around, now. Those forums where repetition is common, now have a stickied thread about the search function.
I saw what you did there.