Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Strategy & Tactics

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Stable Boy

I'll stand by my recommendation. I saw little drop off in experience when I hit 325; certainly nothing I would call a threshold. I saw no drop off at 350. There is nothing to gain in holding onto dungeons once you hit level 300.

I never read Charista's material until I passed level 250 (I just read the whole thing for the first time today and that is why I posted.) I did not hold onto any dungeons until I hit 299 where I held one dungeon (that's right). At that time I was tracking 3-4 players ahead of me on a daily basis to ensure that I was gaining on them. The system I used was my own; but similar to what Charista posted. But in real terms being part of a great guild has been the backbone of anything I did on my own. My system worked for me. There are other factors that helped along the way.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Stable Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilp View Post
I'll stand by my recommendation. I saw little drop off in experience when I hit 325; certainly nothing I would call a threshold.
Interesting. From what I had read from other players, there is a threshold at 325 that slows you down to about 1 level every 18-19 days instead of one every 14ish days.

Do you have any sort of record or idea of how frequently you level up now?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Well actually for dungeons no matter when you beat them you get the same exp so whether you beat last one at level 299 or level 342 you get the same exp so even though the one that beats it first will be ahead the other will catch back up when he beats it.

Now if you want to compare same player doing it at different times then you may have a case on when it is better to clear a dungeon(s) once you hit level 300+. But to compare 2 different players at same level and saying one does it at one level say for example lvl 300 and the other does it at say level 300 in the end it all equals out.

As for the threshold for lvl 300+ yes it does get better but for lvl 300 I didn't see any real diference till abt 320 and I am lvl 348 and I still don't see any difference from level 325.

I may also add that Charista only made it to level 300 so never was able to make any adjustments for that threshold or any above it.

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz

Last edited by bobo baggins; 10-01-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Stable Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscarl View Post
Interesting. From what I had read from other players, there is a threshold at 325 that slows you down to about 1 level every 18-19 days instead of one every 14ish days.

Since level 320 I have not kept any record except for those characters I was still working to pass on experience. Additionally, I didn't keep records for the purpose of holding dungeons for thresholds.

I heard warnings of a threshold at 325; but I reached that about the same time as anyone else did. I did not notice any large drop off and kept no record. I noticed absolutely nothing at 350. But the thresholds never meant anything to me as I decided to beat every dungeon as soon as I could.

An easy way to see what is happening is by getting data on guild battle victories. It is also a more accurate measure than quest data because the choice variation is removed. What you need to plot this is info from a player in your guild just before and just after each threshold you are interested in. For example, 274 and 275. What xp does each get from a guild battle victory. If your guild fights the same guild every day (as ours usually does) you will have a hard percentage at each threshold (at every level is possible). This figure is not affected by the skill of any player.

If you follow what this drop off percentage is (for example 25% xp loss) then you can see how well you are doing. If you are chasing someone above a threshold your goal should be to gain more than 25% every day. That is what I tracked (my total xp a day versus his). He gains 1000000 then I need to gain better than 1250000 every day. In fact, if I am level 272 and I want to catch someone who is at 285 it is possible for a guild to have the info needed to tract what is happening.

The hard part is figuring out how to beat that every day. Charista's advice is good until your opponent starts using the same method. Then what are you going to do? Throw in the towel because it is not possible to beat that. I refused to do that.

I will say again; much help was provided by my guild. I had a few lucky breaks along the way which were needed to even have a chance.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:

From my experience that lvl 275-299 is 7 days a level
300-324 14 days might get lucky and get it down to 13 maybe 12 at best unless you beat a dungeon.

325-349 18-21 days but usually closer to the 21 then 18. last patch did some changes to lvl 350-400 not sure how many days but I believe it is still 18-21 but old way was 28 days for 350-374 and I think 35 days for 375-399.

Would like to add to what Quilp said doing what he says helps a lot but also add in if the player you are trying to beat is in a different level time frame you will gain a couple levels cause you are leveling quicker then him for one and the getting more exp then him just adds to it.

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz

Last edited by bobo baggins; 10-01-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Stable Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins View Post
Well actually for dungeons no matter when you beat them you get the same exp so whether you beat last one at level 299 or level 342 you get the same exp so even though the one that beats it first will be ahead the other will catch back up when he beats it.

Now if you want to compare same player doing it at different times then you may have a case on when it is better to clear a dungeon(s) once you hit level 300+. But to compare 2 different players at same level and saying one does it at one level say for example lvl 300 and the other does it at say level 300 in the end it all equals out.
This post confuses me. Obviously two players will be at the same place if they do the same dungeon at the same level.

And as I've already said several times already in this thread, I KNOW YOU GET THE SAME EXP FOR A DUNGEON AT ANY LEVEL.

You keep repeating it, but you don't seem to understand that my argument revolves around that fact.

The difference isn't the amount of exp you get from the dungeon. The difference is the number of segments the quest is worth.

If you complete dungeon 120 at level 299, it is worth half as many segments as it would by completing it at level 300.

On another note, I realized that I made a minor error in my math. The archaeological aura is much better than I had thought. Unlike the scrapbook and instructor bonus, the archaeological aura actually adds 10% after the exp is calculated. So a 1 mil xp quest is worth 1.1 mil exp.

As a result, my numbers are off by 10%.

Last edited by Huscarl; 10-03-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
This post confuses me. Obviously two players will be at the same place if they do the same dungeon at the same level.

And as I've already said several times already in this thread, I KNOW YOU GET THE SAME EXP FOR A DUNGEON AT ANY LEVEL.

You keep repeating it, but you don't seem to understand that my argument revolves around that fact.

The difference isn't the amount of exp you get from the dungeon. The difference is the number of segments the quest is worth.

If you complete dungeon 120 at level 299, it is worth half as many segments as it would by completing it at level 300.

On another note, I realized that I made a minor error in my math. The archaeological aura is much better than I had thought. Unlike the scrapbook and instructor bonus, the archaeological aura actually adds 10% after the exp is calculated. So a 1 mil xp quest is worth 1.1 mil exp.

As a result, my numbers are off by 10%.
ok players A and B are level 299; player A does a dungeon at 299 gains 1 level possibly. player B does it at level 300 possibly gets to level 301. during that time player A is 1 level ahead till player B beats his and it is evened out again.

You may ask how do I know this I have a toon on s3 and a retired toon on s4 that this has happened. So to compare 2 different toons does not work.

What is basicly said is that to get past the thresholds you should hold off on dungeons till you hit them. I agree to the point of when you hit either dungeon 13 as it is next to impossble to do it they are just to hard and you will hurt yourself to hold back. Or hit level 300 as we have said the threshold is so long that you would need 20 dungeons you can beat to get past it.

Also what are you talking about "The archaeological aura is much better than I had thought." there is no archaeological aura in the game and only thing that gives any bonuses to exp is guild bonus and scrapbook.

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz
Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Stable Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins View Post
What is basicly said is that to get past the thresholds you should hold off on dungeons till you hit them. I agree to the point of when you hit either dungeon 13 as it is next to impossble to do it they are just to hard and you will hurt yourself to hold back. Or hit level 300 as we have said the threshold is so long that you would need 20 dungeons you can beat to get past it.

Also what are you talking about "The archaeological aura is much better than I had thought." there is no archaeological aura in the game and only thing that gives any bonuses to exp is guild bonus and scrapbook.
You may be right about D13, although I will hazard a guess that the first half of it will be cake if you first attempt it at level 300 (as opposed to 250).

As for the adventurer's archaeological aura... Did you somehow never visit the witch? She has a nifty selection of scrolls which give bonuses of all sorts. The scroll for your hat gives you an extra 10% exp per adventure.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You may be right about D13, although I will hazard a guess that the first half of it will be cake if you first attempt it at level 300 (as opposed to 250).

As for the adventurer's archaeological aura... Did you somehow never visit the witch? She has a nifty selection of scrolls which give bonuses of all sorts. The scroll for your hat gives you an extra 10% exp per adventure.
Yes and you are the first person that has called it that instead of the witch.

s3 s10 bobo baggins
s4 drittz
Old 10-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Crusader

I have been following this discussion with interest although I have not checked the math. What is seems to me is being left out is stats. If all you care about is having the highest level character, then the discussion makes sense, although I'm still not sure whose logic wins. If, on the other hand, you wish to have the most powerful character, then stats are also important.

When battling in the arena your level counts in three ways:
(1) it determines the maximum level of items you can find or buy
(2) it is used in the calculation of your hit points
(3) it is used in the calculation of the probability of your opponent getting a critical hit

Your level does not directly affect the amount of damage you do.

Obviously, all else being equal the player with the higher stats is going to win more often than the player with the lower stats. The question is how to trade off XP for gold to come to the optimal point. I used to use the strategy of "always choose the quest with the most XP per segment", but clearly this is flawed.

I think most people would realize that if offered two 2.5 minute quests, one with 250K XP and the other with 125K XP and an epic that is 10 points better than their current epic, they would forgo the small loss in XP for the bonus to stats.

What seems less clear is the trade-off of two quests, one with 250K XP and 100K gold and another with 125K XP, 100K gold, and a item that sells for 2.5 million gold. I always take the item in cases like this, figuring that if my usual trade-off is 2 gold for 1 xp that if I am offered the equivalent of 20 gold for 1 xp it must be a good deal. The bigger question is where the optimal trade-off is: 3:1, 5:1, 10:1? Maybe even lower.

As an aside, it is important to note that if you would take the trade-off for the epic, but wouldn't for the non-epic item you can sell for gold that you can then spend on stats, you are making an error. The stat points you get from an epic are transient: as soon as you upgrade the epic, they go away. The stat points you buy with gold are permanent. (ignoring, of course, that you can sell the epic).

Edited to add: I have been using the following strategy:

Usually I train for XP unless offered an item where the gold value is such that the trade-off of gold for xp seems worth it.
On gold weekends I train for gold
When within 5 levels of a threshold, I switch to training for gold. Remember, not only XP drops off when you cross a threshold, but gold drops off as well. By switching from training for XP to training for gold at these last 5 levels, I concentrate my gold training during the time when the pay-off is the highest.

Last edited by spiny norman; 10-04-2014 at 11:39 AM.