Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Blacksmith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopoloyuuu View Post
The purpose is clearly to know the last time the server was reset. It's just labeled wrong, probably a language error.
Not being argumentative, but if that is the case, then why does it show a frowny face over guild members who have not been active since the reset. Should it not show the actual time of the server reset if that is its purpose? Respectfully stated.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Supreme Adventurer

DominicS, you are right in that it isn't there. They have a link to this post which is embedded in a word that is turned white. Here's where it directs you to, the chat commands: http://forum.sfgame.us/showthread.php?t=1360
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Blacksmith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
The feature is meant to, and as repeated in the Game Manual, to allow guild members to see the last time a player logged in and/or carried out a command (which ever is more recent) since the most recent server reset.
From Leander's post, which is the link you had in your post "/act toggles the information displayed by hovering your cursor over a guild member's name between gold/mushroom donated and last activity time stamp"

Unless the link you provided was incorrect, I definitely don't read what you read. Again I apologize, not meaning to cause trouble, just clarify.
The Following User Says Thank You to DominicS For This Useful Post:
ToscanToss (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Blacksmith

Right. It makes no mention of, stipulates no such condition as "since the most recent server reset."

That data is fairly important, it should probably be saved and displayed same as a player's stats are saved and available for viewing, or the total amount of gold and mushrooms donated (its alternative function), independent of how many server resets have been initiated.

Since the data about gold and mushroom donations are saved, why should the last activity time stamp, the command's alternative function be dumped at server restart, instead of being stored as well?...

There was a server reset again, a couple of days ago, so here's an extreme (though not altogether impossible scenario, I think you'll agree):

during a one- or two-week period, the servers would be reset on a (near-) daily basis.

What use could anyone get out of this 'last activity time stamp' function under such conditions?

See what I mean? It becomes a farce of a feature...

That data needs to be stored and reloaded on sever restart, same as other essential data.

Last edited by ToscanToss; 11-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToscanToss For This Useful Post:
DominicS (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Blacksmith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscanToss View Post

Since the data about gold and mushroom donations are saved, why should the last activity time stamp, the command's alternative function be dumped at server restart, instead of being stored as well?...
That is actually something I didn't think of. If it can save the information from one aspect of its use, then it shouldn't be that hard to save the information from the other....should it?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Adventurer

It's a matter of frequency. The /act timestamp is updated whenever you use the navigation buttons on the left, and likely when you select a quest, dungeon monster or arena opponent as well. You don't donate nearly that often. So storing your donations as data on a disk does not introduce much overhead. But if every action in the game window by every player was written to disk, you'd have a big potential to overload the disk i/o and cause data bottle necks and backlog which would be visible to all players as degraded performance.

Are there ways to get around this issue? Of course! You could re-engineer the entire hardware solution just to get this variable written, but that's overkill. There should be a way to record all the data as part of a shut-down. Take the front down, quiesce the data and then write all the /act variables to disk, then continue the remainder of the shut down process. It would work for all planned outages, but true crashes are rare I believe so would give us what we're looking for the vast majority of the time

Last edited by Darstard; 11-05-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarified things.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Blacksmith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darstard View Post
It's a matter of frequency. The /act timestamp is updated whenever you use the navigation buttons on the left, and likely when you select a quest, dungeon monster or arena opponent as well. You don't donate nearly that often. So storing your donations as data on a disk does not introduce much overhead.
But one doesn't need a list of what times your guildies have been on, or selected a quest, or dungeon monster or arena opponent.

We, as guild leaders or players with too much time on their hands (read: me ), just need the LAST time.

Can't the data be over-written? Otherwise you are right, that is WAY too much nonsense stuff to be storing!

And doesn't the function DO that anyway? I mean between server resets it does give us the last log on time, so it is over writing the data as we play.

I am sorry if I am beating a dead horse here.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Adventurer

You're right, DominicS, we don't need a list and it's not storing a list. It's a single variable that's updated in a single spot in memory over and over again to only retain and display the LAST time. It's never written to disk.
So you either need to write it down every time (too much!), or you need to write it all down before the memory is dumped. Then you'd also need to read it all again on start up to get it into memory once more.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Blacksmith

No, a single action could be stored on any given day - the first one by any given player on that new server day, that's it.

That recorded action could be stored alongside the donations account, would be reloaded at scheduled or unscheduled server restarts, and would be sufficient to provide the timestamp that said 'player has logged in / was active at that time and on that day.'

Besides: why would writing all activity be too much? It's already done! For everything else, including increases in gold, stats, honour - 10 for every single quest, recorded each time, plus arena attacks, raids, etc., all of which have an impact on that value - potion effects, now constantly changing due to their %-based values, potion timers, mount timers, &c., &c., &c.
Only the timestamp isn't saved...

But it could - in fact, the date could be written once a day to disc, at log-in or log-out time. One bit of info a few bytes in size... Or even done restrictively, as a backup measure, only once a server restart is initiated.

Also, you just said yourself, Darstard: it's only written to memory "in a single spot" (? - um... nvm), refreshed over and over again, retaining only the LAST time - so in the case of a server restart being initiated, what do you mean by "write it all down?" That LAST stamp that exists in memory?... For all the players who have actually logged in during any given day, that single personal timestamp, collectively, would be minuscule - a handful of bytes...

Why would this particular and basic bit a data break the server-camel's back?
Really? Is that the official argument?... I'll withhold comment for the time being.

Now I'm just staring in surprise at that argument... You know what? It's not even worth arguing in my opinion, which is what lead to this long post, I guess: I just stare in a bit of disbelief...

*leafing through the thesaurus that Dom gave me as a gift*

Got it: flabbergasted. Also: discombobulated?...

Oh, I don't really care, except to say once more: I think that data should be set to save, written from RAM to HDD (SSD, whatever) prior to each server restart at least, or, preferably, once every server day, incrementally - if the data has changed since the last save / backup / memory dump.

That's all... I don't even have a personal interest in it, simply think that leaders of large guilds would benefit from it, and deserve it, for what it's worth, and what it's supposed to report - which isn't the date and time of the last (unscheduled or unannounced!) server restart (that is already reported in the chat window, in this case then, redundantly!) - but the last date of player activity.

(I keep going over my thoughts on the matter, trying to discern whether I missed something... Let me know what it is, I can't see it right now. Still seems to me a simple and obvious thing to do...)

[edit] Dom, that pony ain't no dead, it's RP'ing...

Last edited by ToscanToss; 11-14-2011 at 09:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToscanToss For This Useful Post:
DominicS (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Supreme Adventurer

I do think that it would not be hard at all to only record the last time and date that a player logged on. As such, the act command would be more useful, particularly when trying to figure out if a guild leader is inactive. If they can store stats, why not also when a person last logged on?
ToscanToss (03-17-2012)