Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via ICQ to polopoloyuuu
Default How much would it cost for Playa Games to give us a better guild chat?

I'm assuming that guild chat would improve automatically if it could store chat data for an entire month.

For one user of s&f:
180 characters per chat string
5 chat strings per hour (average)
900 chat strings per day
27900 chat strings per month
Each chat string is ~ 375 bytes
per month is 10462500 bytes or ~ 10MB

8600 guilds on s1
assume at most each has 50 players
that's 430 000 players.

430 000 players chatting 5 strings per hour
if we look at how much data that will be:
That is about 4.5 * 10^6 MB

This is 4 Terabytes of data (at most)

A 4 Terabyte hard drive is $170
4 Tb of bandwidth ~ $40 (per month)

So let's say $250 at most

On a sale day, when most people buy mushrooms:
This would be about 7500 mushrooms.

tl;dr

7500 mushrooms would pay for guild chat being able to store a months worth of chat (on a given server)
(and this is a huge overestimate in price)
This would be awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to polopoloyuuu For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Truffle Shuffler

dang..nice math
The Following User Says Thank You to Visitor For This Useful Post:
DominicS (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Stable Boy

and what would be the point of that?
like anyone would scroll a month back to read the entire chat.
if we could filter the gold / mushroom donation spam out of the chat and see chat for last ~2-3 hours its fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Blacksmith

No point, it's just better than 5 lines of chat.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Except you are ignoring a number of factors.
1) There are a lot more users than that on a new or active server.
2) There is a lot more chatter going on in many guilds, which makes me think your estimate is an extreme low ball.
3) The company is German and based in Germany, not the US. This changes prices.
4) The game servers and/or hosts have been changed at least once, from one machine to another. That would mean having to buy new products every time AND getting the company that owns the property to use it.
5) All chat data that you have access to is loaded when you access the guild screen. Think how long it would take to transfer all that data when someone accesses the guild screen.
6) How long would it take guild chat to load if it loaded all that data?
7) Where are your numbers coming from, because I'm not seeing anything to support them when I do a quick scan of all the different servers?
8) Look at the total number of servers in the world (almost 100). How can you expect them to reasonably afford it when there is a growing account and membership total?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Blacksmith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
2) There is a lot more chatter going on in many guilds, which makes me think your estimate is an extreme low ball.
4) The game servers and/or hosts have been changed at least once, from one machine to another. That would mean having to buy new products every time AND getting the company that owns the property to use it.
5) All chat data that you have access to is loaded when you access the guild screen. Think how long it would take to transfer all that data when someone accesses the guild screen.
7) Where are your numbers coming from, because I'm not seeing anything to support them when I do a quick scan of all the different servers?
8) Look at the total number of servers in the world (almost 100). How can you expect them to reasonably afford it when there is a growing account and membership total?

Same reasoning behind no outbox?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Nope, different reasons for the outbox. That is simply because they haven't done so and may not see a reason for it, which is a different thread. It pops up somewhat regularly as a suggestion, actually.
DominicS (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Adventurer

Actually, his esitmates are quite higher.
-The vast majority of guilds has nowhere near 50 members.
-Some people might chat a lot more, most people hardly ever say a single line.
-I'm 100% positive they can get bandwidth a lot cheaper.

Whatever their reason is for having such crappy chat... it honestly can be fixed easily and doesn't have to cost much to seriously improve.

Also, even considering all the servers... come on... each server pays for itself. I doubt it would cost them more than $100 a month per busy server... and that just means a few shroom buyers.

Last edited by Vizari; 10-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Blacksmith

It would cost them an arm and a leg... which is the same arm and leg that it costs us to play the game, times 10,000 - 100,000 - 1,000,000?...

Yeah, them's poor as church mice, they have to beg for bread... they can't afford that.

They can't even afford a watch - did you see when this 5x gold special weekend event started?

12 hours late!!! (After regular daily server time reset and thirst refresh...)

Timely and logical, neh?...
*shakes head in disbelief and mock-spits in disbelief*

Last edited by ToscanToss; 10-29-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Blacksmith

This was a per server basis as mentioned multiple times

This was averaged over an entire day, unless a majority of people are playing longer than 12 hours a day, my estimate is low ball. I would like an estimate from you with more reasoning if you disagree with mine.

My analysis is based on s1.sfgame.us. German companies still have to work in dollars in the US. It would only be cheaper in other countries with higher population density like Germany, so again, my estimate is higher than expected.

This is unfortunate, and has nothing to do with allocating more HD space to chat. It will be an issue until Playa finds reliable partners.

This issue has already been solved years ago, upon entering only a few lines are loaded, then the user can keep scrolling up for example and loading more text. Text has a very small bit size as we have seen. Also, you are ignoring the obvious example of keeping text cached on the users machine. People who play s&f are not constantly clearing their cache on average because they don't like to retype in their password...

tl;dr there are a lot of solutions to this.

This is dealt with in 5) and doesn't merit its own concern.

s1.sfgame.us. the lowest rank guild is 8633, hence that is the number of guilds. Looking at the top 100 guilds, it's clear that around 1% of guilds even get close to filling to 50. This should give you even more evidence that I am overestimating price by a lot.

My numbers come from simple searches on hard drive prices, they overestimate the fact that server storage is much cheaper (i took the price from a 4Tb external even!).

Who says it has to be done on every server? Do it on the servers that are the most profitable. This is just basic business sense.