Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Default Insulting or Not Insulting

With the forward mail option and the copy/paste function, it isn't unusual for recruiters to now have someone else type the recruitment message or to copy/paste it themselves. When you get a subject line that says, "Fwd: Subject" you know the person sending it didn't write it most likely. Is it proper and respectful for them to think you want to join their guild when they can't be bothered to alter the subject line or the content to address you instead of addressing anyone in the game?

How about recruiters that clearly copy/paste? You can often tell due to an error when it contains the wrong bonuses and/or rank. It is also obvious when you get the same exact mail message more than once, even if it is days apart. Folks do read the message and pay attention to what is said.

Is it just me, or is this behavior rude and disrespectful? If you want me to join your guild, you could at least address the mail to me or fake interest in where you are trying to steal me from. Or am I just being overly sensitive? What do y'all say about the above behavior from guild recruiters that approach you first? If you do or don't feel this is insulting, have you gotten any mail from a recruitment effort that you found insulting? Please share, but do NOT include names of guilds or descriptions of them. Maybe we can get a thread going to help the guild recruiters appear polite and respectful instead of just playing the math game and not caring about who they draw in.

But for my two cases, am I just being overly sensitive or justified in my feelings of being insulted?
jabroni (03-15-2012), Ziaxia (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Sheep

I agree 100% with you Bullbound. Whenever I would send a letter recruiting I would type it out completely with no cut and paste. I might have some of the same themes I would touch on, but I would try and personalize it.

On the flip side... I got about a 5% return mail from people so it was discouraging...

I can understand some cut and paste, but when someone sends the exact same note to 20 people in the same guild, only changing the persons name (and you know who you are on S3...)... its lame.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Adventurer

Well, now thats two things we agree on BB...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Blacksmith

Arrow Not Insulting.

Way too sensitive. You have been playing this game longer than I have, BB, and to expect that each and every recruitment message be tailor made for each individual player is unrealistic.

For you to take it as "rude and disrespectful", is taking it WAY too seriously.

That being said, it definitely isn't the way to go to recruit, imho, but with the return percentage being as low as it, I think Jabroni had mentioned that his personalized messages were at a 5% return, can you blame recruiters for not personalizing EVERY message?

When I am in uber-recruiting mode I most definitely will copy and paste a basic recruiting message because I am essentially telling my potential guildmates the same thing, i.e. our bonuses, our strengths, where we can help them, where they can help us etc., and I will add a personal touch to it, more often than not, what caused me to try and recruit them, whether it was their level, their description, their name, et al.

This forwarding option just lends itself more to those who DO want to play that numbers game. As low a level player as I am, I know I cannot even begin to count the number of "invites" I have received, where it is simply someone sending me the guild invitation with no preamble or note saying, "Hey, we like you, come join". I can only imagine how many you have received! This forwarding option, just seems to be that type of invite in a different guise.

My two cents is simply treat the "forwards" and the "copy and paste" ones as you would the blank "invites". It is just another tool some players use and for you to take it personally is bringing undue irritation in your life.
The Following User Says Thank You to DominicS For This Useful Post:
Lady Java (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Supreme Adventurer

DominicS, your adding a name or player level though is personalizing it. It shows you are paying attention to the person you are sending it too. That keeps it from entirely being a copy/paste job.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Sheep

While it is not insulting per say, nor can I really call it rude.
But it is still a spam and not a real mail
And I treat them as such, meaning I'll reply to those mails last.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ziaxia For This Useful Post:
Gynx (03-16-2012), Lady Java (03-16-2012), Lord Arse (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Adventurer

I believe one gets the best results by actually paying attention to the person you are trying to cultivate, and mentioning something about them..even if its "lame" like..nice set of all demonic armour. Though I try to personalise it more about their rank or guild or something to be honest.

The ones that are copy/pasted..are obvious. In fact, many members of the various guild I am in or have been in, all kind of chuckle when we get them. They are immediately deleted...and once in a while I am even "rude" back to be honest..saying something like "nice form letter..."

I have been guilty of sending out very SIMILAR messages..but I always change something, even if its just 1 or 2 sentences max. I have a plan when I recruit and it works well enough for me at Army of Darkness.

and it has nothing to do with photos, recipes or whatever, BB

Recruiting is a task to be sure. It takes a lot of time (to be done right/well) and even still doesnt always get you the results you want. But for me personally, I'd rather try to entice the person with a real letter..and make it a strategic attack (invite) rather than just sending out 50, 100 copied/pasted recruiting messages and pray that someone responds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gynx For This Useful Post:
jabroni (03-16-2012), Ziaxia (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Blacksmith

i always type out my recruitment messages but that is because the copy and paste thing never works for me. yes i have the newest flash player but the control insert shift insert combo does nothing. if i received a copied and pasted request i would not care. everyone recruits their own way. you can be insulted sure but personally being insulted over a game email is a bit extreme in my opinion. now the forwarding thing i like that idea. since the copy and paste never works i can type up a message. send it to myself. then forward it to the person. which will be way faster then typing up all my messages. thanks for the idea bullbound.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ralff For This Useful Post:
DominicS (03-17-2012)