Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Sheep

Default Mushrooms between servers

Here's a hypothetical: I want to play two characters on server 1 and 2. There is also a sale going on so I want to buy mushrooms for both my characters. Due to my limited funds I can only afford mushrooms on one server. My solution? If you buy mushrooms on one server you should be able to transfer them to YOUR CHARACTER ONLY on another server.

Pros:
- It's a nice benefit to the players of the game who do invest money in the game.
- Danger of cheating can be mitigated:
1. Because people are on different servers it's obvious one player cannot bank off another player by attacking them in the arena etc...
2. There is no transfer between one player and another player on the same server
3. Make sure that the e-mail address is the same for both characters. In theory people should have used the same e-mail.
4. The dangers of cheating are no greater than if one player bought another player the mushrooms for them (something that is already present). I'm assuming that the game developers care about money the most (not angry about it, just a practical thought). I am also assuming that the developers do not check every mushroom transaction to see if the credit card name or payment information matches the character name.
5. The developers still make more money in the long run because I am burning through my mushrooms twice as fast as opposed to only playing one character and buying mushrooms every 6 months. I now have to buy every 3 months.

If someone can think of a good reason to disapprove (and I'm sure there might be one I haven't thought of) then I'd like to hear it. The thought just occurred to me yesterday and I tried to think it through before posting it.

I also know this is more work for the developers, but I would really like to see it happen.

Thanks for reading,
K
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Supreme Adventurer

This was already brought up before. Several problems exist with this suggestion.

1) Insuring that the accounts which are tied together really do belong to the same person. This can be done through a master login, however every server is kept seperate for a variety of reasons, including security.

2) All mushroom purchases are tied to the character account which originated it, due to the benefits of even a 1 time purchase. When you go to buy mushrooms, you will see your character ID is a part of the transaction. It is how the game knows whom to give the benefits to.

3) Each character is its own account and while there are ways to tie multiple accounts on different servers together due to the same IP, what do you do when it is family or roommates? If IP information is used, then you have a very large door for abuse.

4) Folks don't use the same e-mail address all the time. It isn't unusual to have players use a different e-mail address per server. I don't know why they do this, but they do.
BlueDude2 (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Adventurer

Still has potential for abuse and/or income reduction for developers.

While they would have a new class of players more willing to buy mushrooms because of flexibility, you would also have a different kind of issue.

ABUSE: Account Hack/Password Theft currently has a minimized virtual effect. There is no personal gain from such an attack (usually), mostly on personal damage to the attacked account (all items sold). This is a way for someone to literally steal from other players by tying together accounts that aren't supposed to be tied and transferring mushrooms.

ABUSE: Free s. Currently, a can be dropped from quests. What's to stop unpurchased mushrooms from being transferred on a regular basis? That's 2 shrooms per day, which isn't much for one account, but you basically DOUBLE the amount of shrooms on a different account if you are ONLY using your s1 account to pump your s2 account, which creates an unbalance. Like guild donation, I assume the game will only flag that you have purchased once before allowing you to contribute. While guild contribution has a constraint that it does not directly benefit only one other player, transferring player to player has no such constraint.

INCOME REDUCTION: Currently, game business gives you increasing returns for shrooms purchased in volume. If you have to split your funds, you will be getting less shrooms for your volume. If you can transfer shrooms, you can buy more on one account, and transfer it to the other saving yourself money AND costing the game business more to render that service. The only way this would be acceptable is if you PAY for the transfer service (a la a certain MMO's paid character transfer service).

Just my perspective on the whole thing, having purchased mushrooms on s1 the day before the sale, feeling disappointed, and then spending significantly less during the sale on my s2 character. Sure, it hurt, but so does spending 12 bucks on a buffet that you end up vomiting out because the dairy in the cheesecake wasn't exactly wonderful (spoiler: I don't get my money back).
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Sheep

All valid points. But it is curious that this game is so incredible concerned about player abuse. I mean every game is, since no one wants to be cheated and I've only played 4 or 5 free online games, but people seem extremely concerned about it in this game.

I guess my only point was that abuse potential is there, but it's minimized. I think at some point some things are going to have to be implemented that have abuse potential in order for the game to grow. I mean like with anything in life, including the law, you have to employ a balancing test I think. Is the benefit of this suggestion outweigh the incidental burden it might cause on the game? Otherwise things will never change and I don't think anyone wants that.

I mean things like weapon and armor smith job classes would be fun, but there's certainly potential for abuse there. The solution? Level caps on equipment. I realize that there's a random weapon/armor generator at work here, but games like borderlands can do it.

I also think that with this particular suggestion it would be just as easy to get my girlfriend to finance my mushroom buying or even another player that I knew in real life. In fact, all it would take is asking another player to put money in my bank account and then buying mushrooms with that money. This would be the same concept as a player just giving me mushrooms and no one would ever know.

I am curious why people do tend to border on the edge of paranoia when it comes to cheating in this game. I've seen a lot of great ideas on the forum and they've all been strongly shot down. Did something happen when the game was implemented?

I realize that people can't read my tone online, but in no way am I trying to be smarmy, stuck up, obstinate, or sarcastic. I'm more just curious about the concern levels. I'm not looking for a fight
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Karma, I think a part of what you are missing is that there are benefits you unlock when buying mushrooms. To allow you to gain those benefits across multiple servers with just a single mushroom purchase of $4.99 defeats the limitation as the number of servers increases. If you buy mushrooms for one character, why should all of your characters gain the benefits when you are not doing anything to support those servers?

As for abuse, it is extremely rampant in free to play games. Some stuff does get abused, and it keeps the staff very busy. Suggestions such as this one not only open the door for further abuse, but also makes it extremely easy and harder to detect.

Now, if you want something like the ability to buy mushrooms for someone else, as you seem to indicate in your last post, then that is very different from what your first post is about. Something like the ability to gift mushrooms might not be shot down.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Sheep

That makes sense when you put it that way. I'm still inclined to agree with my point, but you present a good counter argument =0)

Lol you remind me of my old boss at the U.S. Attorney (it's a compliment I loved the guy) but we would always argue against who to indict. I was always a fan of letting people go when I personally had a reasonable doubt and he always told me that the rules were the rules

(But then we'd go grab a beer and end up drunkingly singing piano man )