Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Dummy

Unhappy Ok, there is a big problem about genders here

Why in the name of shakes and fidget that they have to put the word "his" in front of a female oponent! (sorry but I can not take a shot at my browser, I don't know how to do that)

anyway, that happened when I was fighting a gal in the arena, and yes it put the "you collapse on HIM" line. wtf? (and again I didn't remember the full line, but you knew it)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Adventurer

Maybe it's an in-joke. Most MMO players know that the gamer balance is greater than 50to50 male2female, but the in-game is typically more females than males. The reason for this is that... well there is no law against being an online transvestite and if you are going to spend the next 300 hours bringing a new character to cap staring at their behind, it might as well be a behind you don't mind staring at.

The problem with the English language is there aren't enough gender neutral terms so game programmers don't have to go batty to fix gender binary situations.

How about we all just think of it as the formal 'him' that they used to use in university settings? They address all students as Mister and address all answers and tests as 'his test'.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via AIM to FluffCake

That was actually probably just something that was looked over and not really thought about.

While it could be edited, it seems like a little bit too much of a complication to register if a persons female or male. I of course know little to nothing about this specific games code but so far it has proven to be a little more complex than I first assumed.

Anywho. They could probably change it to "them", "they" etc. but that's as good as it would get. At least right now.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Supreme Adventurer

You can also change your character's gender for 1 Gold under the options menu. Same with race. The masculine form is often used as a neutral gender term too, so that is probably a big factor in it.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Sheep

Character gender is already a variable in the game. Each message should be a 20-second fix for the coders.

The hardest part will be hunting down all the uses of gender-specific pronouns.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canceler View Post
anyway, that happened when I was fighting a gal in the arena, and yes it put the "you collapse on HIM" line. wtf?

Maybe a simple translation mistake from the German original version of the game.

I'm German and the translation here doesn't strike me as wrong because the noun "enemy" is male in German, so the original text would have include "ihn (him)" if it's a 1:1 translation. This is not gender related to the actual person but merely the correct personal pronoun of the term.

How would you correctly translate it in English if you have no specific gender in mind?
"Your enemy falls on the ground and you fall on top of ___?"

Is it really so wrong? I thought English uses a universal "he" for such cases, like e.g. "When a customer argues, always agree with him.", to use an example sentence from wikipedia. I come across this fairly often in daily conversation with English natives, so I don't really get the fuss about it for this particular situation in the game unless it is indeed a grave translation mistakes that I don't easily see as such due to above reason.

But if the universal "he" can be applied here, then this is a mere complain on political correctness, I suppose? Not really a big deal to me (female).

~ eni

Last edited by yanica; 06-14-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Sheep

The normal way would be often to use a generic 'them' instead of him;

'Your enemy collapses and you fall on top of them'

'When a customer argues, always agree with them'

This avoids the gender problem.

Last edited by Catcruncher; 06-14-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Sounds weird because it looks like a mix-up of singular and plural. I'm not a English native but also can't say that I've seen this used ever before o_O

I also don't really see what's the problem with the gender since it's clear to me that the sentence itself is gender-unrelated in that context.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Stable Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanica View Post

But if the universal "he" can be applied here, then this is a mere complain on political correctness, I suppose? Not really a big deal to me (female).

~ eni
You understand it perfectly my dear! It is a politically correct thing to say. Which in my book is a way of saying, "It's making a big deal out of nothing!"

Last edited by dearl; 06-14-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Dummy

okaay....so it's not a big deal I guess. But at first it just annoys me that's all

and Yanica, yes I got ur point.