Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Lightbulb hirelings or mercenaries for hire.

My idea is simple and yet interesting.

Let's say there's this dungeon that's been bothering you. You can nearly finish the boss... but just nearly... because he also nearly beats you.

My suggestion: Maybe something inside the weapon shop or a whole new option on the menu. perhaps like the gambling man button that appears when you mouse hover "tavern", but this time over character or even inside the menu.

what this would do is let you hire a npc assistant, like an orc or a goblin or a warrior. That would give you hand in the dungeon.
These will have to be costly of course, and they would only give you a greater edge fighting the mob, some cases should happen that even with a hireling, or mercenary or call them what you will, the fight won't still be won.

These mercenaries should cost a combination of both &
I would also suggest that they could only be hired like... once per week.

Before you say "this would break the balance of the game, people will start having more epics". let me respond to that in advance.
1- epics only have a probability to drop on non bosses. So they would still be getting the same number of epics and here's why.
2- the only things the mercenary or hireling would do is to soften a couple of blows from the dungeon mob. Lets say you hire one to help you beat a dungeon. FIRST, if the opponent is too strong not even a hireling could help you win, and SECOND, you could only hire one per week and not only will they be costly they would disappear after the battle.

Notice the hireling couldn't be used to arena attacks and quests.

let me know what you think of this suggestion.
It would really make the game a lot cooler, and would require some new artwork to be added (or not, these hirelings could simply be the use of the same presets uses for characters only randomized).

PS: I forgot to mention you should be able to choose between 3 random hirelings changed everyday, one per each class.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaenor For This Useful Post:
WebsteR (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Adventurer

Interesting concept, but I'd prefer it at the guild level than the individual level.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Blacksmith

Good idea it would realy help.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Supreme Adventurer

The first problem I can see with this, is that individual dungeons are not all that hard to beat. They seem that way at first, but a bit of looking at which stat does what, makes it so that they are relatively easy to beat at the same level as the monster's level. By allowing a second fighter, you have now disrupted the balance of players having to wait to beat the dungeon level.

At a guild level, if a guild can't beat the dungeon but "hires help," then do they deserve that added bonus that is an incentive to keep playing and growing stronger?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullbound For This Useful Post:
bobo baggins (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Wannabe Griffin

yes

prehaps make the dungeons a little bit more harder?

And I don't think dungeons are that hard. Having some help would... help...

This could also be applied on protection level. Let's say you want to secure your position on the hall of fame, then a hireling could do your fights and prevent you from losing battles while you're away (at the cost of not earning any honor or money in case you win).

But I like what Darstar suggested, that hirelings would replace players when thei're missing.

Another good idea that just came up would be that they could work as a squire. This would serve in a perfect addition to what I said earlier of protection in the arena. They could also work as holders of more items. Showing a second tab on the character screen to access their menu.

we can take the idea into even greater depth and make the game a whole lot more interesting by adding these hirelings as second permanent characters. But you could only have one once you reached a certain level. It would be like managing 2 characters at the same time... it sounds pretty cool.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Supreme Adventurer

By holding your spot in the Hall of Fame, it keeps you from being ranked accurately, though.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Wannabe Griffin

good point...

what if it only saves you from loosing some gold...

best to stick to the dungeon idea. If you could make the dungeons a little tougher you could set the hirelings thing. Its like implementing a whole new idea.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaenor View Post
good point...

what if it only saves you from loosing some gold...

best to stick to the dungeon idea. If you could make the dungeons a little tougher you could set the hirelings thing. Its like implementing a whole new idea.
Resetting the difficulty of the dungeons at this point would be grossly unfair to folks that haven't cleared the majority of them, so I don't think that is an ideal solution.
Creating a parallel set of dungeons would allow for this type of change in a fair manner.

However, since I first looked at this, I've reconsidered this concept and it needs to be re-balanced as it too strongly favors those that use mushrooms. Dungeons already favor those same players already as they can shop for more powerful / specific potions and weapons.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Blacksmith

I think i have a good idea how to balance it out.

You get to hire mercenaries only for the top 3 dungeon monsters(8,9,10/10) or maybe top 5.

Last edited by WebsteR; 09-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Griffin

These hirelings should only be available for higher dungeons, like the ones added recently.

And when I say they'd cost shrooms I'm talking like 15.... ... 25 tops.