Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Help & Questions > Character Advice

Notices

Character Advice Need help building your avatar? You've come to the right place.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Default Best Stats for Mage

Sorry, I am sure this has been discussed at length, but I honestly couldn't find it. I know intelligence, but after that, what?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Adventurer

on the UK server i play a mage. And I'm somewhat unstoppable with the "equal int-con" combo, with a healthy side of luck. A lot of other mages swear by an intel-luck build, but luck can only get you so far when you've got 1/3 the HP of anyone else your level. Just throwing that out there.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via Skype™ to moreum

Intelligence and Constitution should be your main concerns. Luck doesn't really help but you should keep it about 20% that gives a fair chance of critical hit. However, still do not forget about your strength and dexterity try keep them at the same level and about one third of what you pumped into your intelligence that should give an edge with other mages who just work on their intelligence and able to beat other mages but can't compete against warriors and scouts.
Well I think that pretty much sums it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to moreum For This Useful Post:
DiaBolical (06-30-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreum View Post
Intelligence and Constitution should be your main concerns. Luck doesn't really help but you should keep it about 20% that gives a fair chance of critical hit. However, still do not forget about your strength and dexterity try keep them at the same level and about one third of what you pumped into your intelligence that should give an edge with other mages who just work on their intelligence and able to beat other mages but can't compete against warriors and scouts.
Well I think that pretty much sums it up.
I'll vote "No" on that build for the way I like to play

I love Luck - it's absolutely fantastic. Int-Luck or Luck-Int will give you a ton of really short battles (one way or the other). You do so much damage (that is unavoidable) that you can defeat people much higher than you if the dice fall right, and other people are often scared to attack you. Of course, you can also loose to someone that you should have beaten handily. It keeps the game REALLY interesting. Right now because of equipment drops my crit is down to 30%, and that's way too low for me.

There is something nice about regularly being able to end a battle with someone your level in 2 or 3 rounds thanks to critical hits. The fact that I have only a few hp doesn't bother me at all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via Skype™ to moreum

JobyKSU I recently had 44% for my luck and tried it out on other players in my range and also on Dungeon monsters and to tell you the truth it didn't work for me at all if got at least one crit that meant I was lucky if not any crit at all so I would disregard luck as a main stat for a mage but hey I just might be very unlucky in general I never won anything in my life.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Sheep

One of my UK mages most glorious periods was due to higher luck than anyone in my range, I beat the arena opposition most of the time because of it. But then again if you look at the prices of my stats, luck is the one out of the big 3 that I've spent least on, with int being the highest.
In my opinion a solid mage is all about finding the right mix of the 3 with a small smattering of strength thrown just to protect their achilles heal (warriors).
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Adventurer

Mages are the hardest to stat spec among the three classes IMO.

Luck does keep cautious players at bay for backstabs, which means less gold lost to arena on someone else's terms. As long as you spend before front stabs, this means among all builds possible, the luck mage gets to earn and spend the most gold.

Since mages have a pitiful armor cap, stat damage mitigation is far more reliable. For the gold, you can achieve 10% mitigation at 1/5th of your opponent's stat, which costs almost nothing.

Con gets the least bang for the buck among all classes, but a high HP mage does get annoying, since a mage only needs to survive 4 rounds to kill an opponent.

High INT, of course, makes a mage worthy to climb over the corpses of other mages and often the end of many a challenger. Since magic damage can only be mitigated by Int stat, only mages have any reliable defense against mages (since scouts and warriors have to blow alot of gold to keep up).

Mages are the best candidate for delaying leveling up in exchange for gold because they benefit the most from 4 out of the 5 stats, and Con is pretty much essential even if they get the worst returns.

My current mage, I am relying on the three main stats pretty evenly, with an emphasis on triangulation against scouts and leaving my heel (warriors) open, with the hope that a competent damage/luck/con combo will discourage the low-damage class from assaulting. TBH, I'm a relatively new mage and will be following this thread myself to keep up with the strategems.

Also: spellcheck marks the following words in red: spellcheck, mage, backstab, strategem.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreum View Post
JobyKSU I recently had 44% for my luck and tried it out on other players in my range and also on Dungeon monsters and to tell you the truth it didn't work for me at all if got at least one crit that meant I was lucky if not any crit at all so I would disregard luck as a main stat for a mage but hey I just might be very unlucky in general I never won anything in my life.
And this is where our personal styles differ - I kind of like the high variability you get with high luck. You definitely get some stretches where you face-plant and can't win anything, but you can then get a string of lucky hits in that decimate someone much higher rank than you. I just like that.

Example - I was attacked a couple of nights ago by a scout 7 or 8 levels higher than me. Watching the battle was fun: 4 rounds, 4 crit hits, and I pulled max gold from him. Sure, I only had 71 hps left, but there was real excitement from the game - rather than just crunching numbers and playing the same-old-vanilla game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobyKSU View Post
And this is where our personal styles differ - I kind of like the high variability you get with high luck. You definitely get some stretches where you face-plant and can't win anything, but you can then get a string of lucky hits in that decimate someone much higher rank than you. I just like that.

Example - I was attacked a couple of nights ago by a scout 7 or 8 levels higher than me. Watching the battle was fun: 4 rounds, 4 crit hits, and I pulled max gold from him. Sure, I only had 71 hps left, but there was real excitement from the game - rather than just crunching numbers and playing the same-old-vanilla game.
Precisely.

High variability means your low percentage to get to 10k honor just went up. Dropping down 2000 ranks is also feasible, but if you try hard enough and long enough, you will eventually get 'lucky' enough to finish that string of victories.

Low variability is great for minimizing losses (climbing to X rank).
High variability is great for taking on superior opponents and winning. With high variability and a farm with max gold, winning 1 of 4 is all you need if you can spend the farmed gold quickly.

Moreover, as stated before, the 'threat' of loss versus players staring at you in the Hall of Fame really does count for alot.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Wow, it seems there is no concensus. For now, my focus is int, with a splash of con. Seems like a strong character, but we will see.....