Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Help & Questions > Character Advice

Notices

Character Advice Need help building your avatar? You've come to the right place.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Adventurer

Default Gear Strategy: More Than One Weapon

I recently did a little number crunching in response to a decision I don't want to make.

On the one hand, I have a lovely weapon that is very versatile (+ALL) and is great for warrior on warrior action. On the other hand, I have a 'better' weapon that does significantly more base damage but gives me garbage stats (+Int).

Then it strikes me that it is perhaps notable to have a stockpile of weapons against different builds.

Since strength v. strength (Warrior on warrior) has a significant damage reduction based on primary stat, having added strength may not be as significant in damage increase as base damage, but mitigation by raw stat helps offset some of the base damage lost and further decreases the opponent's multiplier (sometime's significantly) which could be that extra round or two needed to offset the real damage deficiency.

Versus int, obviously having higher int and higher base damage is a good idea against mages.

Versus dex, obviously having higher dex and more hp is a good idea against scouts.

Defensively, having really high luck pushes up a higher crit rating. When attacking players, you may not want to rely on crit, but when you are searching for an opponent on the HoF, doesn't a 40-50% crit kind of make you annoyed at the possibility of losing to a lucky strike? If you think twice, opponent's are also likely to look for someone more reliably soft.

My thought is that obsoleting weapons (selling them) too hastily is not a good thing since there is quite possibly a popular build that the old standby might still stack up against better than your just dropped new hotness.

Regarding armor pieces, this may not ring quite as true. Armor also has armor value associated with it as well as multiple pieces. While some warriors may think it a good idea to pack a five set of +int/low armor (since magic ignores armor anyway) there is of course a diminishing return to carrying that much stuff.

I would like to explore other players' thoughts on the subject as well as hear notes by successful players that have utilized this strategy in one form or another OR even stories of trying this unsuccessfully.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueDude2 For This Useful Post:
Pynt O Stout (06-04-2010), Renegade 13 (06-05-2010)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Dummy

I don't think magic ignores armor. It ignore block and dodge. ^^

To be honest, generally speaking increasing your offensive power is better than your defensive, at least when it comes to stats. Every point increases your damage, whereas only every -2- points increases your defensive potential. Unless the gap is huge (over twice as many dex or int, in your case) I can't really see much advantage in keeping weaker gear around for the +stats against other styles.

This is, of course, influenced based on the fact I'm a fairly low levelled player (Probably going to hit 20 tonight), so at higher levels your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Brys; 06-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Dummy

Definetely hepful. Weapons can have than more than one purpose/stats increase. Seeing that I'm level one at the moment this is definetely helpful. Thabks peoples. You rock!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Mushroom Collector

I am a player who carries around a lot of weight in his inventory. I have 2 weapons atm. I am relying on high base damage and high crit. My crit is 38% and I could make it higher but I dont think a warrior needs more than 25-35% crits. Having these extra weapon/armor has helped me with HoF and in dungeons. I think it is important to try out different builds. For example sometimes for a warrior it will be ok to have ur def only at 43% but your Con and Str and damage output are high enough to survive this goes for fighting mages and scouts. But sometimes you have to switch up your gear espcially when fighting another warrior ur going to want your def capped at 50% since there are much more rounds and who can survive the longest beating pretty much. You just have to mix and match the best builds.

Last edited by Akarym; 07-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Your conclusions are based on ATTACKS...

having a few extra defense and attack patterns on is fine when ATTACKING.
but when OTHERS attack you. I hope you have a good GENERAL setup.

If your BASE stats arent up, then changing around isnt going to help defend you.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edthard View Post

If your BASE stats arent up, then changing around isnt going to help defend you.
As stated before, luck is great mitigation - as is high armor class, high HP, and high stats (base or equipment does not matter).

One of the advantages of "switching around" is having a Con/Luck 'general' weapon/gear for defense periods while having specialized tools attacks. It's inclusive of both Defense and Attack, though Attack is generally the more obvious of the two.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Mushroom Collector

Quote:

Trust me man, my general stats are just fine, and I am just as good at defending as I am attacking. I don't really get your point in ur comment though?. I mean, switching 2 pieces of gear to up my chances against a certain opponent is not going to throw off my general stats all that much. Just give me the extra con, str, luck, or def I may need to beat an opponent which is a higher level. Then after I may keep the armor on or switch it back.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Adventurer

I believe his point was that you need to have a general one to use when you're on GD or sleeping. As your opponents sometimes pick YOU, you need to have one setup that can handle any class decently.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Wannabe Griffin

When you ATTACk others, you have a chance to setup you person..
After you are done, you need a GREAT protection. which can be hard.
you dont know WHO/WHAT will be aiming for you.

Fighting Wizards, your HP is going to save you. last long enough to hurt them.

Warriors, Avoidance will save you. you dont want to be hit to much.

Scouts, HIT them hard and fast. make every HIT HURT.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Warriors, Avoidance will save you. you dont want to be hit to much.
I don't know what this is about.

Only shields actually modify avoidance and after level 15, few warriors have a shield with less than 25% block.

Armor is fairly effective against warriors who already deal the least damage, but good Con also annoys the heck [out of us], because warrior damage doesn't catch up.

In general, Con/Luck weigh a lot more during defense because they put a bad taste on your character name that most players looking for easy farms would rather avoid. To be honest, no matter how low an opponent mage's INT (I'm a warrior), if they have a sufficient number of hit points, I know that they will outpace my damage before I can take 'em, so I move on.