Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Strategy & Tactics

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
I noticed the slope is not consistent nor does it seem to maintain the same ratio as the decreased times. It could be, that a 50% mount gives a greater gold and experience benefit than 5 times the 10% mount.
Where random factors are involved, "consistency" is never absolute. We are not discussing excessively complicated matters such as confidence intervals (even though they apply), since we both recognize that adequate sampling has been done to increase confidence to a level that we can be fairly certain a trend can be identified.

That said, every data set will have some randomness pushing higher or lower than average. It is unavoidable. Basically, that there is some "inconsistency" is normal when using statistics theory. The small error you have noticed is not indicative of any additional factors that need to be identified, because it is within the bounds of normalcy for a sample of this size.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Default irrelevant points

Replying to Bullbound's questions:
"zarka, there is the 1 mushroom mount, and while you lose some of the mushrooms, you are gaining a large amount of gold and experience. The reason to include them on your graph, would be to illustrate if and how much more is actually gained due to the randomization factors that could make it higher or lower based on the mount."

Firstly: I believe that when it says 20% or 30% reduction in quest time, it means exactly that and nothing more and nothing less. All other discussion of mount values on the board likewise accept this as given.

"When looking at the graph labeled "Mount Value by Level," I noticed the slope is not consistent nor does it seem to maintain the same ratio as the decreased times."

Secondly: All three graphs of horse, cow and cat are based purely on the axis intercepts from the "normalized" data which divides by the appropriate % bonus from guild and mount. If you look more carefully, they all have precisely the same degree of inconsistency & uncertainty because they are merely the multiples of this normalized data. In other words, the cat numbers graphed here are just the normalized numbers x 0.3 x 14 days x 100 thirst/day, horse is the same number *0.2, etc.

If I wanted to compare horse and cat based only on raw data, I can't do it, because I have not owned both horse and cat while at the same level and same guild bonii, and I don't believe there are hidden bonii for mounts, only the explicit costs and bonii, so I don't believe it is useful to test.

Finally, I am not going to buy a dragon with real cash just to prove the point (about believing that 50% means 50% and nothing more beyond the "environmental award")
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Stable Boy

So I started playing the game 2 days ago and have already run into a dilemma: should I go for high gold/thirst or high exp/thirst? Well, I did a little bit of digging (and I do mean little, if anyone knows a blog/wiki/forum post that explains this problem in detail I'd appreciate it if they could point me towards it) and came to the conclusion that right now, the general consensus is that a high exp/thirst is better because higher levels result in more gold from guard duty.

The problem now is I haven't seen anybody go in-depth into this; and by that I mean do some number crunching. So, over the course of the next week or so, I will be keeping track of my numbers after alternating days of going after exp/thirst and gold/thirst. And the plan is to use these numbers and really theorycraft this issue out.

Feel free to input your own data! I feel like maybe at higher levels the results may differ, so any input will be appreciated.

I only wish I thought of this before I spent my thirst so I don't have to wait 16 hours to start testing

Last edited by blackhatnot; 09-07-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: grammar~
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Charista has a very long, detailed, stickied thread called Confessions of An XP Addict in this forum. There is a section where he/she (I never trust genders online) discusses this, but it is not the easiest of reads.

Basically, higher levels bring with them better gear, more dungeon fights, quests with higher rewards, and more pay from city guard. This offsets the lower damage and uneven gear distribution in the long run. By going for gold quests, you become extremely strong for your level, get the best gear possible over time due to the many free shop refreshes, and get to a point where you may only be able to buy 1 attribute point for 10 hours of city guard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullbound For This Useful Post:
blackhatnot (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Stable Boy

Ahh I see, I took a glance at the thread and thought it was just a diary of her leveling progress; going to look into that now, thanks!

So the "best" way is to have a healthy mix of the two I'm assuming. Now to find out how much of each to mix in~
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Adventurer

Charista's player is male.

And the answer is:

MAXIMIZE YOUR EXP!
The Following User Says Thank You to Charista For This Useful Post:
wravzilla (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Mushroom Collector

or build low and slow... be toughest guy for your level.... it seems to pay off long term and benifits your guild more in raids... you gain flexibility in handling other classes by slowly developing with a focus on stats and gold over exp
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Adventurer

No, wravzilla, that is an illusion of power. While you can beat players of your level better, and the XP player can't beat players of his as well, the XP player gains power in the long run, and will beat players of much higher than the level of the gold player.

Look at it this way...

Begin with two players, XP player and Gold player, both just hit L150. You're in the Linear region.
If the Gold player trades 20% daily XP for gold,, then for every 5 levels gained by the XP player, the Gold PLayer gains 4. When the XP player hits L250, the Gold player hits L230.

L230 players can beat L250, once in a while. Assuming identical $ spent on the game, the L250 will have an 80% win ratio over the L230, because every item he carries has, on average, 45 more stat points, his weapon does almost 10% more basic damage, his Luck points are more effective, and the L230's Armor may not be fully effective.

So while the Gold player has the illusion that since he can beat players of his own level (230) and the Xp player has a lower win ratio against players of his own level (250), the XP player has the same win:loss ratio against L240 players as the L230 has against L230's, which means in terms of real power, not relative to personal level power, the XP player is far more powerful in the long run.

As I pointed out in Confessions, shifting to a Gold strategy can have immmediate benefits, but the accumulated gains by the XP player later eventually overwhelm that gain and the Gold player pays a permanent long term price for that short term gain.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Mushroom Collector

i beg to differ.. i am at lvl 126+ atm and am currently handling xp players 4-7 lvls over me to either wins or near draws by going for a gold based strategy... and those that i can take are mostly out of my class... but it shows most in the guild raid scenarios.. i normally get 2-3 wins per raid... also i consistantly defend from attacks from being over ranked in honor.. i often have to shed exp in order to prevent loss while holding b4 i run my missions.. so consistancy of your math aside... it is a valid and strong strategy choice by personal experience... and maximisizes my play time as a non shroomer.. i can go and play as an exp player.. but then i miss the thrill of winning a battle with those leveled significantly higher than myself... instead i would get complaints from players that i was only down hitting... and pretty much all exp players get those a few times a week

Last edited by wravzilla; 09-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wravzilla View Post
i beg to differ.. i am at lvl 126+ atm and am currently handling xp players 4-7 lvls over me to either wins or near draws by going for a gold based strategy... and those that i can take are mostly out of my class... but it shows most in the guild raid scenarios.. i normally get 2-3 wins per raid... also i consistantly defend from attacks from being over ranked in honor.. i often have to shed exp in order to prevent loss while holding b4 i run my missions.. so consistancy of your math aside... it is a valid and strong strategy choice by personal experience... and maximisizes my play time as a non shroomer.. i can go and play as an exp player.. but then i miss the thrill of winning a battle with those leveled significantly higher than myself... instead i would get complaints from players that i was only down hitting... and pretty much all exp players get those a few times a week
few things that you should take into account is their scrapbook and guild bonuses compared to you, if they are donating better then you towards their guild, Their gear and base stats