Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Adventurer

One of my guild members left the game because of the repetitiveness of the game, and I have to say I 100% agree. NOTHING is different about the game when you increase in levels. The monsters are all the same, just a somewhat random increase in stats. The quest blurbs are all the same, and the names of weapons/armor/magic items are incredibly repetitive (just with different stats). Clicking buttons and watching a timer count down to 0:00 is fun, but not sustainable without some other form of entertainment to keep people busy.

I think the only reason why some people have stuck around this long is because of the lingering mention in the wind of guild dungeons. Granted, if they can't even get the Hero of the Day right (which is still full of bugs), I'm not so sure that a guild dungeon would even be a plausible addition. It seems like coding something to count the number of times a character kills other characters would be SIGNIFICANTLY easier than figuring out how to code a guild dungeon. But I'm not a computer programmer, so I have no clue.

I think, honestly, people use the school year as an excuse to finally say goodbye to something that they're not all that interested in. Sure, the school year gets busier for some people than the summer, so they wouldn't be able to play as much (I'm sure it will be much more difficult for me to complete my thirst every day come September when I start teaching classes again). Key words being "as much". That's cool. Don't play as much! But instead, people are finding that they "have to quit" because they don't have time. Interesting, but I doubt it's actually true. After all, the TV show seasons are picking up again in September, so if you've got time to watch TV, you've got time to play S&F...if you wanted to.

To get me to stick around much longer, there's going to have to be some serious updates to the game that come out. Things like MORE monsters that are more challenging! How is it that I sit and stare at a computer screen to count down from 10 minutes, to one-shot a quest monster? So anti-climactic! MORE weapons and armor that aren't just different colour variations of the ones that are currently in the shops with different stats. MORE options for customization (take a browse on the forums for suggestions on customization). A BETTER mail system. Even when guild mail is sent out that's apparently to all guild members, not everyone gets it. Don't believe me? Account-sit for a couple members in your guild while they're on vacation, and check their mail when you get guild mail. I betcha eventually there will come a point where you say "hm. That's funny. They didn't get that mail..." BETTER COMMUNICATION between the developers and the game community. Look at any other game forum and see how long the devs leave their paying customers hanging when new features are mentioned. Not putting the dump on Leander, Bull or iTZ. Not their fault; they're being kept out of the loop, too. But even letting us know in the member-posted bug reports (or suggestions) if something has been fixed. Or if it's going to be fixed. Or if they're even working on it. Or if it's coming out in "vX.XX". Or WHY it's not going to be implemented/fixed (instead of just "not gonna happen"). Keeping people in the loop and making paying customers feel important is key to keeping them around.

Take a look at other flash-based browser games that involve watching a timer count down. Not naming names, here, but I think most of you know what site(s) I'm talking about. They all had MASSIVE interest when they were first released, followed by a huge decline in playership because the players got bored. There was a gradual increase in active members again, but it's been from people just looking to pass the time online, not actually feel like they're members of a "community". The forums are never used, and the only seemingly active part of the entire game is the guild section. Even at that, it's apparently pretty dismal even on the best of days.

So, yeah. Those are my suggestions. Do what you wish with them.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Mushroom Collector

I dunno, but in all like these games i got just to 10-20 levels, but this game is different. I dunno, but I have A LOT OF FRIENDS who play this game too and it's fun to compete with other friends. I dunno, but I think I'm gonna play this long.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Mushroom Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairie View Post
^_^ it's ok to just do gaurd duty all day, and for the power players to not drink any beer because your schedule is full.

Part of why I love this game is because it's ok to walk away, to just let a quest bar run while you do stuff around the house or go to work.

After all it's not just students that find their schedules full with the comming of fall. I work in a toystore and a lot of our staff are either leaving or they have to change when they can work, we're going to be hireing new people but soon the season will be upon us and this all adds to a jumble of odd hours untill we can stabilize things. happens every year like clockwork.

Once more players realize they can still play while they're doing other stuff I know they'll come back.
I usually do Guard Duty when I'm sleeping, or when I'm going to be gone for a while MC riding; but then, I'm no where near the upper levels.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Well now had no3 on s2 leave as well, and have to admit I'm curious if I'll particularly stick around once shrooms run out. Lack of anything happening is starting to make things rather boring.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Adventurer

You could make a character on a different more active server, if you haven't already, and keep the one on S2 going untill it livens up some. Just keeping two chatacters going might do it for you.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Blacksmith

Ok, if you deceide to quit, then that is you decision. Good luck to you.
Ofc these kind of games get boring after a while. I play one other particular game over a 2 years and I've noticed same trends there.
It is natural that players leave due to its boringness. Its all part of the game, nothing more to say about it...
Old 08-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Sheep

I see high levels leaving mostly because they just don't have time anymore. If you work or are a full time student it's hard to login and do all your quests. Not to mention if you are a mushroom user it takes you forever to use all your mushrooms on quests for that day (yes, you could use the "skip" button for a mushroom on your quests but some people don't feel to waste money on it xD). The game is somewhat pointless after you played it for a months. Everything always stays the same, constantly. There is never anything new coming for you to keep your interest alive in the game.

Honestly, i think the only reason the high levels in my guild and myself continue the play is loyality to the guild and because we made strong friendships within the guild. Other then that, myself and my guildies would have all quit a long time ago.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Community Manager

If you are a highlevel you have automatically spent quite some time to reach your level. I admit that the game is not as interesting as it used to be if you've already cleared most of the dungeons. However, repetitiveness is typical of all browser games and most of "normal" games after months of play. It is against our terms and conditions to name other browser games but I've played a few so far and always quit after some weeks. Shakes and Fidget is more challenging and exciting than most other browser games (and I don't say this because I'm a mod here) but after months almost all games feel like doing the same all over again. And don't forget S&F is a free browser game you play with a couple of clicks every day...and not a 3D game with a huge freely to roam world...and 80 hours of quests and gameplay.

Hey, just wait for the guild raids and the game will be fun again.

Shakes & Fidget Community Manager
leander@playa-support.com

Like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
If you are a highlevel you have automatically spent quite some time to reach your level. I admit that the game is not as interesting as it used to be if you've already cleared most of the dungeons. However, repetitiveness is typical of all browser games and most of "normal" games after months of play. It is against our terms and conditions to name other browser games but I've played a few so far and always quit after some weeks. Shakes and Fidget is more challenging and exciting than most other browser games (and I don't say this because I'm a mod here) but after months almost all games feel like doing the same all over again. And don't forget S&F is a free browser game you play with a couple of clicks every day...and not a 3D game with a huge freely to roam world...and 80 hours of quests and gameplay.

Hey, just wait for the guild raids and the game will be fun again.
I agree, with you i never forget about S&F i find it very easy to play and adorable. Weirdly when i first found it i quit some of the great free mmos out there, to play it. I found myself spending more time on this game then i do even WoW. Maybe its because of my guild or how cute the game is... i couldn't really tell you why i keep coming back.

Last edited by kissgod; 08-28-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Truffle Shuffler

If you can't add features, simply do something different with what you have to keep people around.

Always popular is a temp round server on which the game gets resetted regulary to have an actual toplist as result. I play since April and am nearly through with everything there is, so playing closed rounds of 3-6 months can be really challenging and fun because you have a fixed day to start and to reach your goal with everyone together. Having noobs and pros start equally. Maybe with a quick speed round (e.g. 2min instead of 10min) inbetween once in a while.

That doesn't really need any changes to the game and is interesting to the players who are bored of the endless repetitiveness after reaching higher levels. Other than holding your rank, there's not much to play for anymore once all dungeons are cleared so of course it gets boring for longtime players *shrugs*

Last edited by yanica; 08-31-2010 at 01:28 AM.