Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard

Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard (http://forum.sfgame.us/index.php)
-   Archive Community Area (http://forum.sfgame.us/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What does your S&F name mean? (http://forum.sfgame.us/showthread.php?t=377)

Kaidah 04-16-2010 10:11 AM

What does your S&F name mean?

Does your in-game/forum name have any particular or special meaning? We quite a variety of interesting names here, where did they all come from?

"Enquiring minds want to know." Or at least want to waste some time instead of working. :ag:

For myself, "Kaida" was a name I came across while looking at baby names for my eldest son. It's a Japanese girl's name meaning "little dragon", and given my love for all things dragon it quickly became the name of choice for all my gaming needs. Having always played female characters whenever possible, it seemed like a natural fit. The "h" at the end is simply taken from the first letter of my last name.

Laugh if you like at my choice of female characters, but, as a guy, I'd rather spend countless hours looking at a female avatar than a male one.

Cashew 04-16-2010 10:37 AM

Cashew has been my nickname for many, many, MANY years.

Why? Because I'm nutty (d'uh). It really is that simple. I wish I had a cool story to go along with it, but alas...nada.

Dweomer 04-16-2010 03:20 PM

Felis is a genus in the family Felidae that includes domesticated cats and a few of the smaller wild species. I have always had cats, I am a cat person, so when I choose a female character in an MMORPG (rare, as I find choosing a male character usually means I get harassed less, but I am a girl in real life) Felis is my nom de guerre of choice.

The name I usually go with for these things is Dweomer, like my forum name. An Old English term for witchcraft was "dweomercraft"; more modernly, it's sometimes used in RPGs as the term for an item enchantment. If I'd chosen to play a mage, I might have gone with it as usual.

devoidfury 04-16-2010 04:55 PM

I worked on a browser game similar to this for a while, and I named it Devoidfury. I really liked the name, and it seemed fairly unique, so I kept it even though my game died.

devoid - lacking, empty of, not having something expected.

fury - violent/uncontrolled anger.

Jaxem 04-16-2010 05:37 PM

Jax is my real life nickname, and the em is me backwards so Jax is me :) I dunno it's always been my gaming/forum name.

Snuffletrout 04-16-2010 06:11 PM

I did a review of a game a while ago, where you could catch a fish named "Trufflesnout" -a fish that made your character so much more lucky to finding awesome items. I kept mixing up the name of the fish to "Snuffletrout" (well at least trout's an acutal fish, eh?) when discussing it, and thus the name was born.

spencerc123 04-16-2010 10:24 PM

Well i just put in a bunch of random letters on my keyboard and wall-a! :)

LabRat 04-17-2010 05:56 AM

Starting some time before S&F, I used Labrat as my forum nick in some places because in real life, I work at a laboratory. To keep consistent, I used it here as well (and on the German forum).

Yet it didn't feel right as a name for a fantasy game character. So when I created my S&F dark elf mage, I went with Leassa ingame - the name comes from a D&D character I once invented, which happened to be a dark elf mage as well.

PhatWang 04-17-2010 08:06 PM

Betcha guys can never guess where my ingame name comes from :)

if only there was a smiley for it

Cashew 04-17-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatWang (Post 2684)
Betcha guys can never guess where my ingame name comes from :)

if only there was a smiley for it

where it comes from: compensation for a toothpick? :bj: <-- the closest emote to what you're trying to convey, on so many different levels.