Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard

Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard (http://forum.sfgame.us/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://forum.sfgame.us/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   About merging servers (http://forum.sfgame.us/showthread.php?t=8306)

Arturu 10-27-2016 10:53 AM

About merging servers
 
So.. this discussion has been going on for ages and since there's no update today I would like to get back to it for a moment with a (maybe) different proposal on this topic. Although it's possible someone came up with similar thing.


For this example the assumption is we wish to merge s1 and s2 only. I will explain everything in steps, and hopefully it will make it more understandable.

CLEARING AT LEAST SOME OF DEAD CHARS.
We set that merging will take place in 6 months from now and Playa sends (each month) information on this to everyone.

After six months we start deleting chars that haven't been played at all since the announcement:
- chars lvl <50 are deleted automatically
- chars lvl lets say <150 that haven't bought a single shroom are also deleted automatically

MERGING SERVERS
We move remaining chars to one database and thus create server "m1". However we create (in a way) two and a half halls of fame for it.

We get:
- Hall of fame (server - s1 or s2)
- Hall of fame (global / fixed global - both for m1)

SERVER HALL OF FAME
Is named "Hall of Fame s1" or "Hall of Fame s2" depending on where your char came from. That means that each character will see only one of those. This will be HoF identical to that you had on your original server.

GLOBAL HALL OF FAME
Will have two seperate lists that are right next to one another and are displayed at the same time.

The left one will be normal global list with all the chars and all their honor points. Sure people from s1 will definitely be at the top. However right next to it is:

The Fixed Hall of Fame in which each char's honor is divided by the number of days the server existed.


FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND

1) The method of dividing honor by the number of days server existed. Might not be best. It should be tested but it should be possible to solve this in a reasonable way.

2) Of course after the merge honor points in all Halls of Fame should be aquired normally moving forward.

3) Hall of Fame for Guilds will be broken. There's no real way to stop this, since people can change guilds anyway. Sorry about that.

4) Hope all of this makes sense and I didn't make it overly complicated. :)

BMWGuinness 10-27-2016 12:51 PM

I'm only ok with this if ...

Combining S1-S10

(Level of Character / Number of Days since server start) Number of Days since s1 start

Therefore if you have a level 100 character on a later server that only started 4 years ago, and s1 started 6 years ago, you'd divide 100/4 = 25 then * 6 = Level 150

Same with all attributes and anything that accumulates over time

other than that, no dice from me

MedusasSnakes 10-27-2016 05:12 PM

I want every penny that I spent between the servers reverted to the M server.

That's over 45K shrooms just from one server I want credited.

See why this doesn't work?

bobo baggins 10-27-2016 07:39 PM

I see a lot of issues with what is proposed new code would have to be added and I don't think it would be just little bit either. would need code to show which server u were on. then code for the different HoF's. then they need to figure out how to start honor for the global HoF's.

Arturu 10-28-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedusasSnakes (Post 57068)
I want every penny that I spent between the servers reverted to the M server.

That's over 45K shrooms just from one server I want credited.

See why this doesn't work?

I am really interested in this. What makes you feel so cheated with these changes?
If you were first on s2 for example you still would be first on s2.

MedusasSnakes 10-28-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturu (Post 57093)
I am really interested in this. What makes you feel so cheated with these changes?
If you were first on s2 for example you still would be first on s2.

You want to merge this server with that server. I've paid money on both servers to play. One of the characters has to be deleted in order to merge the two servers as multiple accounts are not allowed.

Arturu 10-29-2016 02:08 PM

They would have to allow people to have multiple chars on one server, which by the way should have been done long time ago on country servers.

As for merging itself. I don't care that much about it, but a lot of people would like that since older servers become more and more empty with each passing year.

gupostalgu 11-08-2016 01:19 PM

Just want to bump this one. Old servers can get another breath of fresh air if Playa can merge old realms.

BMWGuinness 11-08-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupostalgu (Post 57214)
Just want to bump this one. Old servers can get another breath of fresh air if Playa can merge old realms.

Absolutely, as long as I can get a refund of the mushrooms I spent. Had I known servers would be merged, I would never play on different servers.

bobo baggins 11-08-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupostalgu (Post 57214)
Just want to bump this one. Old servers can get another breath of fresh air if Playa can merge old realms.

I can understand where ppl want more activity and for most games the best way is to merge servers.. I have found on those other games when they merge servers is that within a couple months the activity is back to where it was before the server merger.

This is a very old topic that gets re-hashed ever few months or so for since I first started playing abt 5-6 years ago. Back then it was said Playa doesn't have things set up to where server mergers are possible. As BMW said I would want some kind of refund for what I paid for for the same reason BMW gave.

gupostalgu 11-08-2016 08:52 PM

Losses by players are always present in any long-term project that whant to get some renewal (only TESO and Evolve on my mind right now).

Now I see why Playa won't merge realms and players on the old one will enjoy their <200(300?) active ppl population.

I am pretty sure Playa can give ppl like you a year-long-dragon-mount as a compensation or a golden nameplate or any kind of some random stuff. But you won't be satisfied anyway, right? Just interesting what kind of refund you are expecting and what can satisfy such players?

Gerond 11-09-2016 01:07 PM

Well...in ToS (you agree with every time you log in) is stated that they can do pretty much anything they want with the game and your account without stating a reason. So demanding any kind of compensation would be without chance in my opinion.

I'd be very happy if servers merged...activity on my server is miserable. And I don't really see the problem with owning multiple accounts on "one bigger server" if Halls of fame etc. were separated like Arturu said.

okk 11-10-2016 02:43 PM

I can see both sides for and against merging the servers but what I think we need more than that is a purge of inactive accounts.

I know that people say they are useful for scrapbooking but I honestly do not see many people starting brand new on the oldest servers.

for example I play on S1.

looking at the hall of fame there are 397319 accounts listed. the problem is 99% of those do not play anymore

the best metric I have been able to think of for determining active accounts is the pet hall of fame. It was just recently introduced so it should show a good indication of active players. If I look at the pet hall of fame there is only 1364 people with a honor ranking above 0. Now I guess there could be a few stragglers that are actually playing at under level 75 but I highly doubt there would be that many so lets say a total of 1400 players on the server.

as surmised this only 0.35% of the total population that is still playing.

What I would propose is that they run a scan on the server to see how long it has been since the account has been logged in. If it is over a year than delete the account. Lets face it if they have not logged into the game in over a year than they are not likely ever going to come back.

One caveat is if they have spent money on the game the account is flagged and not deleted. This allows the chance for those who have spent money to always have the account.

Once the server is brought down to a unrecoverable competitive level (500 accounts? 800 accounts? etc) than maybe look at the possibility of merging those few accounts into the next server of appropriate age (S2 in this case)

BMWGuinness 11-10-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okk (Post 57224)
I can see both sides for and against merging the servers but what I think we need more than that is a purge of inactive accounts.

I know that people say they are useful for scrapbooking but I honestly do not see many people starting brand new on the oldest servers.

for example I play on S1.

looking at the hall of fame there are 397319 accounts listed. the problem is 99% of those do not play anymore

the best metric I have been able to think of for determining active accounts is the pet hall of fame. It was just recently introduced so it should show a good indication of active players. If I look at the pet hall of fame there is only 1364 people with a honor ranking above 0. Now I guess there could be a few stragglers that are actually playing at under level 75 but I highly doubt there would be that many so lets say a total of 1400 players on the server.

as surmised this only 0.35% of the total population that is still playing.

What I would propose is that they run a scan on the server to see how long it has been since the account has been logged in. If it is over a year than delete the account. Lets face it if they have not logged into the game in over a year than they are not likely ever going to come back.

One caveat is if they have spent money on the game the account is flagged and not deleted. This allows the chance for those who have spent money to always have the account.

Once the server is brought down to a unrecoverable competitive level (500 accounts? 800 accounts? etc) than maybe look at the possibility of merging those few accounts into the next server of appropriate age (S2 in this case)

I'd say, if the player is inactive for 3 months, and not part of an active guild, their account could be "hidden" meaning its hidden from others, but as soon as they log back in, its no longer hidden. This way there isn't a purge of the accounts, just a filter based on inactivity.

MedusasSnakes 11-11-2016 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okk (Post 57224)
What I would propose is that they run a scan on the server to see how long it has been since the account has been logged in. If it is over a year than delete the account. Lets face it if they have not logged into the game in over a year than they are not likely ever going to come back.

I'm not asking this to be a jerk or anything, but are you a guild leader? I ask because you would know this isn't exactly right.

"Hello Med how are you been very long time without playing, I'm thinking in coming back I'll decide in this days hehe say hi to everyone for me "

I just got this mail in the past week. This person has been inactive for close to 2 years, I would say. This person, that I'm aware of, never bought shrooms. Now he's coming back to play.

I currently have 3 others in my guild who rejoined the game after Playa apparently sent out mails to inactives and tried to lure them back with the new content.

Yeah, it's only 4 people, not 400, but over the course of the past approximately 5 years, I have gotten mails like the one above, not often, but maybe 35-40 times.

I know of another person who had quit, got the mail about the W1 server opening, started playing there, was having fun, and decided to start playing his character that he had abandoned on another server.

People do return to the game. Not in massive amounts, but they do return.

Arturu 11-11-2016 11:04 AM

ABOUT RETURNING PLAYERS

Yeah, that can be a thing. That is why I proposed at the beginning to get rid of chars with level < 150 (and only in case of merging).

Playing through 150 first levels is easy enough on established server with all the bonuses to Guilds. So you might aswell start fresh.


DIFFERENT TAKE ON MERGING
I saw the arguments you guys presented and thought about it some more. So here's another proposal.


1) We merge all the US servers together (after getting rid of all the abandoned low level chars).
2) We still make seperate server Halls of Fame, as described in the first post.

Here we have to make a specific distinction. World servers have a ton of players and server has it's limits. So I assume it's impossible to allow for one person to have multiple chars on one world server.
However here it would be allowed. Not only that it could even be recommended, because all your chars could help out one another in some way.

BASIC IDEA FOR HELPING
From the top of my head - medals would be reworked to give larger bonuses and would stack. Meaning each medal on a new char would give it's stat bonus to all your chars.
Another idea - each one of your characters gives 10% of it's stats to your other characters.
So char nr 1 gets additional 10% of all stats chars nr 2 and 3 have (and so on).

These bonuses should probably not work on arena. Also they are very basic, I am sure Playa could think of something.


There, so what do you think? Would that make you not ask for refund? :D

bobo baggins 11-11-2016 06:02 PM

Lol I understand why this subject wont die but as I and others have said Playa WONT and I repeat WONT merge servers for many reasons one is they don't have the ability with current setup to do so. Another reason is they know if they could even merge servers they would have to get rid of the multi account rule from their ToS and that wont happen as well which I for 1 like that rule. Also those that have toons on all the servers in a merger wouldn't be happy. I know I wouldn't after spending all the time and money on my toons to have them on 1 server would get me mad enough I think I would quit and I am sure there are others who think the same way.

Imo this is a dead subject as everyone is just repeating themselves lets keep it that way.

oh btw I know if I had a lvl 50+ toon and the devs deleted it just because I stopped playing for awhile I wouldn't start a new toon on that game.

BMWGuinness 11-11-2016 08:24 PM

Did someone answer how it would affect Terms of Service for combining 10 US servers and therefore having 10 accounts on the same merged server?

How big will guilds be, 500 members?

Gerond 11-12-2016 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo baggins (Post 57232)
Lol I understand why this subject wont die but as I and others have said Playa WONT and I repeat WONT merge servers for many reasons one is they don't have the ability with current setup to do so. Another reason is they know if they could even merge servers they would have to get rid of the multi account rule from their ToS and that wont happen as well which I for 1 like that rule. Also those that have toons on all the servers in a merger wouldn't be happy. I know I wouldn't after spending all the time and money on my toons to have them on 1 server would get me mad enough I think I would quit and I am sure there are others who think the same way.

Imo this is a dead subject as everyone is just repeating themselves lets keep it that way.

oh btw I know if I had a lvl 50+ toon and the devs deleted it just because I stopped playing for awhile I wouldn't start a new toon on that game.

What makes you think this subject is dead? There actually is "official" (initiated by german stuff) discussion about this on german forum.

http://forum.sfgame.de/showthread.php?t=75208

I don't speak german very good and I don't have the time to google translate 25-paged topic so I don't know if they came to a conclusion or what points are discussed...but it looks like the subject isn't dead.

bobo baggins 11-12-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerond (Post 57234)
What makes you think this subject is dead? There actually is "official" (initiated by german stuff) discussion about this on german forum.

http://forum.sfgame.de/showthread.php?t=75208

I don't speak german very good and I don't have the time to google translate 25-paged topic so I don't know if they came to a conclusion or what points are discussed...but it looks like the subject isn't dead.

I read this thread it is not the first time by Playa they have asked the GERMAN FORUM COMMUNITY about possible server merges the first time it was a poll and discussion thread over a year ago which ended up no where and from what I see of the current one it will most likely go the same way. Why you may ask. Because if they were serious about it other then just getting a feel o what part of the player base wants then they would ask all CoMa's to post a thread asking about server mergers. So yeah till then I say the subject is dead cause other then 1 thread on a forum that is not this one means it will go no where hence a dead subject.

Edit: Only seen a couple posts from actual game staff and the last one in that thread was over a month ago. Just in case anyone tries to say that those with red names are gamestaff they are not red names are CoMa KO771 or mods Hollie is only game staff that posted/started the thread and her last post was at the end of Sept.

Arturu 11-13-2016 06:06 AM

I think that in current situation merges with larger system revamps won't happen, simply because world servers are very popular and they just want some shrooms from the 1-3k people that play on regional servers.

If people would whine loudly enough then probably they would just merge them on a 1 + 1 basis.

It's just sad that there are so few of us on this forum and half have a very counterproductive attitude. This goal here was "how to merge servers and make everyone happy at the same time". I would guess that a couple of messages in a topic is hardly enough to say that it's not possible. ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by 'Playa Games GmbH'