Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Default Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween, everyone.

This day is celebrated all different ways, sometimes with costumes or parties, and other times with candles and prayers. Please share your fond memories of this day, and maybe even share some of the sights from today.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Community Manager

Still no reply here. We are too old for Halloween.

I can only speak for Austria. We usually go to the cemetery, decorate the graves with flowers in memory of our ancestors and passed away beloved ones...but traditionally no parties, no trick or treat, no plastic skeletons or pumpkins.

The US way of celebrating Halloween only came across the ocean some years ago. Today, there are families with children that like the idea but also people that are against this cultural borrowing with American festivities and cultural elements that replace our traditional ones. People are biased.

It's a lot of fun for children though...a lot of them go from house to house and collect sweets, wear monster outfits etc. ... but still not to the extent like in the US. And sadly, trick or treat is sometimes abused by aduls who take it as an excuse for vandalism...

Shakes & Fidget Community Manager
leander@playa-support.com

Like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leander For This Useful Post:
DominicS (11-10-2011), ToscanToss (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Blacksmith

Same here, from my backround (orbiting out of Earth's crust range notwithstanding).
My family my 'peeps,' my people still follow the same custom you refer to.
It's a solemn sort of thing, gathering in the dark by candlelight - thousands and thousands of candles flickering in the wind throughout the cemeteries, people standing round graves in remembrance our loved ones that are no more...
Followed by large family gatherings in homes, sharing food, drinks, and thoughts; talking, remembering.

Ah, well... the dead are dead... Sadder thought: sometimes, even the living are 'no more...'

Still waiting for Austrian 'best beer' brand suggestions, Leander. Not a beer guzzler, but always willing to try.
Oh, well, never mind, that's the third time I'm asking, and you're too reticent. I understand - I am too, mostly. Lately. No need to share your secrets.