Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Default Server Cleaning?

As the title says. How often do they remove inactive characters from a server. How long can some body be completely inactive before they are removed from the server.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Truffle Shuffler

I dont think they remove inactive chars.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Supreme Adventurer

Visitor is correct. Inactive, banned, active characters, they all stay on the server and are never deleted. A person can be inactive 5 hours or 5 years and still return to their character.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Griffin

ok other then looking to see if some body has a mount,mixxed with writing down their lvls and checking on them daily for like 2 weeks to see if there is any changes. what other ways can some body be found inactive. do thier names change colors in the hall of fame after like 60 to 90 days? Im not going to lie that just seems kinda bonkers to me, mostly becuase if they never delete inactive characters how are they supposed to tell how many active people are actually on one particular server?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesan View Post
Im not going to lie that just seems kinda bonkers to me, mostly becuase if they never delete inactive characters how are they supposed to tell how many active people are actually on one particular server?
Who says you're supposed to be able to tell such a thing - would be convenient if you were recruiting active players, yes.

Would also be convenient for a competitor or anyone else to gauge the game's, or a particular server's success and health at a glance...

Quarter of a million undeleted characters on a server give the impression of an incredibly vibrant, successful game. 5,000-25,000 wouldn't be so bad for one game server, but it just isn't quite the same...

Besides which, and as an example: how could they delete a player's toon, who may have donated possibly hundreds of dollars to the game, purchasing mushrooms, then decides (or must) suspend play for any reason, returning to it eventually, some time later, only to find their account no longer exists?

But same applies to a 'non-shrooming' player, money-related considerations aside: they may return to play, may even become seriously involved in it down the road, even make a purchase now and then, as long as they know their character and their investment in it are safe.

However, if their account would be deleted, they'd be a lot less likely to begin anew.

And if there was even a chance that deletion might occur, they'd also be a lot more hesitant about spending money on mushrooms, supporting the game, reluctant to spend money on something virtual that carried the risk of deletion during the player's absence.

So, inactive account deletion may seem convenient to you at the moment, but even for you there could come a day when you'd rue the day you asked for it at all, if it were to be applied to you, to your account.

On the other side of the above argument: well, there could be a very easy feature to add that would give an indication of player account activity status, but for the reasons given above, I have a hunch Playa would rather not do that, unless the demand for such a feature became impossible to ignore or refuse.

Last edited by ToscanToss; 11-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToscanToss For This Useful Post:
blackhatnot (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Or, why not just set an amount where if the account has purchased that amount, then they never need to risk deletion? This would give a great reason to buy mushrooms, and if the inactives are deleted, then we may just see more interaction. Folks migrate to new servers because they don't think they can defeat those ahead of them. But, if those accounts were temporarily/indefinitely suspended, then what's the problem?

Let folks spend money if they want their toon around. Then, after 21 days of inactivity, temporarily suspend the account so that the user may log back on and reactivate it when they wish to. For the inactives, just start over. Why take up space and memory, while doing nothing, if there was no support to cover the cost of such?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Adventurer

This may not be the end all argument or idea, and I believe it has been discussed before..and the below idea was presented by yours truly before as well...but why not delete all toons who havent reached level 10 within 90 days?

Most players can reach level 9 or 10, if not higher, in a single day by using the gifted shrooms (if not purchasing them to start with). The worst case scenario for a person who has created a toon and then abandons it after a day is that they lose 1-2 days work. If the toon has reached level 10...then he/she is basically "saved" and there is nothing to worry about.
Furthermore, ff the player has purchased 50, 100, 1000 shrooms then that person isnt likely to abandon it after 1 day (pure speculation, but logical)...and the other safeguard is that they likely reached level 10 anyway by shrooming.

I have absolutely no idea what percentage of characters across all servers are level 9 and below, but I have to guess its got to be well over 50%, if not closer to 80% or even higher. This purging would then clean up the database of dead accounts. I cant imagine there would be too many complaints by level 1-9 players who lost their account..let alone level 1-9 players who also lost hundreds of shrooms...they've truly lost maybe a couple hours of questing...easily rectified.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gynx For This Useful Post:
Jaxem (11-15-2011)