Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Community Area

Notices

View Poll Results: Which kind of gamer do you most closely identify?
Sub-Casual Gamer 0 0%
Social Gamer 5 8.20%
Casual Gamer 25 40.98%
Committed Gamer 18 29.51%
Hardcore Gamer 11 18.03%
Professional Gamer 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Adventurer

Default What kind of a gamer are you?

Real quick, I thought it would be appropriate to poll how players characterize themselves.

Sub-Casual Gamer: Only play to kill time. Several minutes a time at most. Characterized by preferring to do other things (like building or working).

Social Gamer: Play with others, mostly. Seldom play by self. Characterized by liking interaction more than a competitive interaction (vs system or player).

Casual Gamer: Likes games. Likes living, too. Couple hours, and winning is fun but not the end all or be all. Characterized by commitment to play but not at the expense of other activities.

Committed Gamer: Really likes games. Enjoys competition and goal-setting in a game setting. Characterized by willingness to label oneself by the game one plays more than the occupation which pays one's bills.

Hardcore Gamer: Really Really likes games. Victory is a routine and game completion is habitual, not a matter of if but when. Characterized by leadership, niche knowledge, and prioritizing gaming over a good night's rest in order to accomplish goals.

Professional Gamer: Paid to play. Doesn't matter if one likes it or not. There is a method to the madness. Characterized by graphs, charts, simulations, and a bonus structure dependent on the gamer's success at their 'job'.

Did my best to keep the descriptions unbiased, but you can see how that can be hard considering that it is impossible to please everybody.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Adventurer

Definitely casual. a couple of hours a day, tops.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
Read the Shakes & Fidget comics translated into English!
Sprechen sie Deutsche? New German comics here
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Truffle Shuffler

I chose social because at the end of the day I like to play with other folks more and the people usually make the game. However on that note, I definitely cross the line with committed because I am a gamer all the way at heart. It is my hobby and entertainment the majority of the time.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Adventurer

Casual/committed? My commitment to a game depends almost entirely on the community I find myself in- if it's a great community, I'm in to the hilt (or to whatever I can afford, which usually isn't much). I don't define myself by what I play, but I will rearrange my schedule at times if there's something planned in-game.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Blacksmith

Def casual, but addictedly casual if that makes ANY sense
Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Adventurer

Casual player, though sometimes bordering on committed. I wouldn't go to any lengths to schedule my life around a game, but minor adjustments are okay.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Truffle Shuffler

I chose comitted because I took the poll before I read further into the thread. DOH!
In retrospect I would have chosen casual... I play for a couple of hours generally and then get back to RL.
Cheers
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Mushroom Collector

According to this, somewhere in between Commited and Hardcore. Chose the latter though as my friends, work and life in general is all revolving around games.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Id have to say im a combination or commited, casual and pay to play. I play while at work most of the time, whether its this game, a game I mod for, or my 360. while I log a lot of hours per day if something else comes up with my social life etc games take a quick backseat.

I tried the whole hardcore gamer thing and it stunk, played wow for like 6 months straight and almost nothing else.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
Id have to say im a combination or commited, casual and pay to play. I play while at work most of the time, whether its this game, a game I mod for, or my 360. while I log a lot of hours per day if something else comes up with my social life etc games take a quick backseat.

I tried the whole hardcore gamer thing and it stunk, played wow for like 6 months straight and almost nothing else.
Thanks for sharing.
I myself tried to transition to casual WoW. However, you can't really do much without a guild and most guilds really don't want too many casuals.