Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Default Crit vs Dodge/Evade

If a critical hit procs, does it beat the value of a block/evade and always hit?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Sheep

No - if you hit, then there is an X% chance of critical.

I can say this with about 95% certainty, because I am a geek, and we will leave it at that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Truffle Shuffler

But other players have seen critical animations. So either knowing rolling for a hit THEN a crit is before your attack. Or the crit roll happens first and you always hit.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Adventurer

Needs testing. Ask some of the upper level players with 50% crit to submit some data. However, I don't think Crit outplays evade/block. If that were true, then warriors and scouts get more value from crit than mages.

Mages, as it is, always hit (ignore block/evade). I also believe they ignore physical armor (but not Intel-based defense stat). Critting is notoriously unreliable, but then again so is blocking/evading. Anecdotally, I can't tell the difference in block rates for players with high crits and low crits. In fact, I think players with low crits crit far too often and don't get blocked often enough (anecdotal and non-scientific grumbling).
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via Skype™ to moreum

I had 44% luck yesterday bought a weapon with really high luck stat and that weapon had far more damage than my previous one*luckily I had a wit to save it and not sell back right away, had to put it back again* and to tell you the truth attacked couple of players in my rank range and they had about 20% luck and no go some battle if I was lucky I had one critical. The same goes for the dungeons so eventually I replaced it with my previous weapon. I am a mage by the way.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Adventurer

In the case of a Warrior's critical animation (the weapon being thrown high), I have never seen one miss.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreum View Post
I had 44% luck yesterday bought a weapon with really high luck stat and that weapon had far more damage than my previous one*luckily I had a wit to save it and not sell back right away, had to put it back again* and to tell you the truth attacked couple of players in my rank range and they had about 20% luck and no go some battle if I was lucky I had one critical. The same goes for the dungeons so eventually I replaced it with my previous weapon. I am a mage by the way.
Mages NEVER miss. :/ So this theory doesn't apply to you guys.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweomer View Post
In the case of a Warrior's critical animation (the weapon being thrown high), I have never seen one miss.
Well, animation comes after ALL the calculations have been done on the server. That's why the skip button doesn't cheat you. Hence, seeing an animation just means it registered as crit that hits. If you miss, they wouldn't even have to check for crit, would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodge View Post
Mages NEVER miss. :/ So this theory doesn't apply to you guys.
My point exactly. If crit > miss, then mages get shafted and warriors and scouts should opt for high crit instead of con/primary stat because Crit essentially becomes +hit versus scouts and warriors. The balance of the game would be thrown off because warriors and scouts no longer have equal damage mitigation.

Damage X * (1-0.5armor) * (1-.25block) = Damage X * (1-.25armor) * (1-.5evade)

If crit overcomes these, warriors get the advantage. Warriors with supercrit essentially become low-round mage mashers and unavoidable scout crushers.

The math for the latter is .25 total evade for scouts (.5 unblockable crit * .5 evade) which yields a net .5625x damage to scouts. For warriors it would be (.5 unblockable crit * .25 block) which is .4375x damage to warriors. That's a 15% advantage in addition to 25% more HP. I know scouts get better base damage weapons, but not 1.47 times warrior weapons! (I've seen about 1.25-1.3)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Supreme Adventurer

The first thing calculated, from what I can tell, is if the attack misses or not. Then the game determines if it is a critical hit or not. Last, is damage. No, I am not able to look at the coding, but am just searching a few different forums. A block/evade does not stop the math though. Folks have repeatedly reported seeing the critical hit animation with the enemy dodging/evading the attack, but those may be old posts too.

I would not be surprised if block/evade negate the damage of a critical hit but do not prevent the animation, though. It does seem to fit the animations and various reports.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Truffle Shuffler

Alright, the last 2 posts were very informative and helpful. It is appreciated the amount of detail you two put in your responses.

Thanks.