Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Default Black Screen - Ubuntu 10.10

Hey all,

Recently I started using Linux Ubuntu and I'm experiencing some problems with the game... When I try to open http://s1.sfgame.us/index.php I get black screen. I can access www.sfgame.us but as soon as I select my server(s1) and press LOGIN, screen turns black. The game works fine on WinXP.

I've tried refreshing and leaving it for a while, clearing cache...

I'm using Minefield 4.0b8pre browser. It was also happening on Firefox 3.6(before I upgraded it to the one stated earlier). I reinstalled Flash Player and Java but nothing helped. Also tried port forwarding - no luck...

Every other thing that requires Flash or Java works fine

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Blacksmith

Send a message via Skype™ to moreum

try chromium I think Ubuntu repositories hold it. Anyways not a big fan of mainstream linux distros. Especially Ubuntu a total rip-off from the great Debian distro. However, if you are talking about Linux there are a huge array of possibilities of problems you might have. First make sure that you are running a correct version for your machine. Are you having i386 or amd64? Also make sure that you have all the extra packages that are needed for flash and perhaps get flash deb file straight from adobe website instead of getting it from the repositories it might help. However, I have stopped using Linux ages ago so a bit rusty and not up to date on the expertise. Also sometimes you would have to wait a little bit for the game to load especially on the slower machines (yes Ubuntu is a mainstream Linux distro which means it's a resource hogger just like windows).

Last edited by moreum; 10-16-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Tried Chromium, didn't help. I'm having i386 and I'm running the correct version. All the extra packages have been installed - I DL'd the file from their website directly. I also tried fixing the Java cause at one point I got an error while loading all the repositories.

For now nothing helped, I'll search a bit more to see if I can get any clue of what's going on and I'll reply If I get it fixed.

Thanks for the fast reply though! Appreciated.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Blacksmith

Send a message via Skype™ to moreum

try ubuntu forums they have a lot of information on a lot of issues that might occur. However, my favourite distro nowadays would be Sabayon which is based on Gentoo. I would recommend it since it was working much better than Ubuntu for me back in the day.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Truffle Shuffler

Hey I've figured out what was causing the trouble and I managed to fix it. It was GNU Flash Player, Gnash... I guess it still has some issues since it is a work in progress. Everything works fine now!

Thanks for your time, and for the advice, I will certainly try Sabayon. I'm new to Linux anyways, so I will explore a bit more to see what fits me.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kom4r View Post
Hey I've figured out what was causing the trouble and I managed to fix it. It was GNU Flash Player, Gnash... I guess it still has some issues since it is a work in progress. Everything works fine now!

Thanks for your time, and for the advice, I will certainly try Sabayon. I'm new to Linux anyways, so I will explore a bit more to see what fits me.

Thanks!
Gnash isn´t updated to latest Adobe Flash yet (at least not last time I checked). Takes time to reverse engineer stuff like this.