Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Suggestions

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Send a message via Skype™ to Justin Ninja
Default Pets

Yeah I think it would be really cool if we could have pets in the game who could either attack for us or increase some of our stats or maybe even increase our gold/exp. bonuses (for the player not the whole guild.)

As I'm not very good with details I would like it if someone else who supports this idea to go into detail with it

*Edit* As an after thought maybe there could be a certain persentage to make it so that we could have quest/dungeon monsters be our pets. As an addition to buying them from a new shop.

Last edited by Justin Ninja; 06-03-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Adventurer

I am totally behind the idea of having familiars that do absolutely nothing.

Closer to your idea, I would be behind familiars that increased stats (kind of like a semi-permanent potion) if a daily upkeep cost were associated with it indicating the cost of food. Players would, of course, be required to 'feed' it daily by spending a fixed cost dependent upon the magnitude of the benefit.

The latter idea encourages players to log on daily to feed their pet and ensure that someone is babysitting their account when they are away. Also, it gives an extra purpose for those extra inventory slots (D2 runes, anyone?).

Last edited by BlueDude2; 06-03-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Supreme Adventurer

We already have pets that help the player though. They are called mounts. By being able to do more quests in the day, you gain more gold and exp per day than you would be able to do without out. That takes care of the pet giving gold and/or exp as mentioned in the first post.

As for stats, are you just looking for something to function as an additional equip slot?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Send a message via Skype™ to Justin Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbound View Post
We already have pets that help the player though. They are called mounts. By being able to do more quests in the day, you gain more gold and exp per day than you would be able to do without out. That takes care of the pet giving gold and/or exp as mentioned in the first post.

As for stats, are you just looking for something to function as an additional equip slot?
Yes there would be another box for your pet and people could look at your pet if they wanted to. (and yes they would give stat boosts.)

Also I'm not talking about mounts i'm talking about another kind of pet that actually helps in battle (stat wise or having its own attack) I actually think it would be cool if there was a second part of the game. Here let me explain

The pets would have their own hp attack and stats, it wouldnt affect the player in anyway but you could raise your pet and see whose pet is the best. As i said it wouldnt affect players but it would be nice for people who aren't #1 to be #1 in their own way.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Adventurer

"Pets" are a bit fluffy for Shakes & Fidget, though, aren't they? I mean, I could see something like fighting pets, cocks or dogs (except that's animal cruelty and, thus, wouldn't be the best political move...) or keeping the souls of your murdered enemies as pets...

I want a baby Orc. Or maybe a miniature Demon.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Blacksmith

Send a message via AIM to FluffCake

Only if that they were considered an epic and/or rare item gotten from dungeons or specific quests.

Even then..I really see no true purpose for this other than having them spend a lot of time reworking the system to include that stuff as well as a slot for it. Could be placed in the same area as the mount, as well as extra pets you don't need being stashed in the stable for you to switch out for so-and-so gold.

Not that I like the idea, just tossing stuff out there.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Griffin

I think the bigger question is, do pets have anything to do with S&F? I mean are they in the comic books, since I do not read them?

I do not want this game to be more like a childs game and I like the fact that it has a little more of an adult flavor to it.

Also, I think your asking a lot from the game developers to add this feature. Let's keep things simple that add and improve to what we already have!!!

I like the idea of the Guild Dungeons as to give more attention to the Guilds in general. This will help to keep Guilds around a lot longer by making it more fun and beneficial for members to remain on a Guild
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
I do not want this game to be more like a childs game and I like the fact that it has a little more of an adult flavor to it.
I had this conversation, once. Some demographics believe that ALL games of any nature are innately the domain of non-adults. While this view has been progressively dispelled in more recent times, some persons (ex-gfs) expressly find the idea of 'playing pretend and dress-up' to be beneath "full grown adults."

I personally don't find pets to be childish, but I suppose that's a matter of taste (and the fact that another game has Hunter 'Pets' corroborates with my visualization).

In order to avoid reworking the game core to accommodate a new slot, I think pet HP needs to be abolished pretty straight up and the mount slot stays for actual... you know... mounts.

A reasonable implementation, in my mind, involves no minigames, no secondary ranking system, and no game-breaking wildcards that undermine the current system.

Pet's as a cosmetic profile addition reward (character description avatars, basically) for mushroom purchasing, dungeon completion, etc. seems tangibly acceptable. Utilizing those extra item slots beneath the character portrait to display them might also be reasonable. However, the game has certain rules that most of us sort of... you know.. play by. Changing the rules now undermines several of our strategies and for those that have already spent mushrooms, this might lower morale.

One of the reasons I left a different pair of games was because it began to develop more features and content than I wanted and subverted the progress I had already been making by adding features that only two classes of player could really appreciate: The hardcore players that had already capped numerous times and were hungry for more content as part of their glorified chatroom. And the new player that didn't know this content didn't exist prior to enrolling and could build it in to their fresh strategy.

Large MMOs and even offline games spend lots of money doing market research to determine if adding new fundamental features will be popular with the current fanbase because alienating current participants can be a death sentence.

I propose that pets either remain a very small change or it be a feature that is saved for Version X.0 should the game ever make it that far along. (unlikely for a browser game)

Last edited by iTZKooPA; 07-16-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Please do not mention MMOGs by name.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Supreme Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
I think the bigger question is, do pets have anything to do with S&F? I mean are they in the comic books, since I do not read them?

Also, I think your asking a lot from the game developers to add this feature. Let's keep things simple that add and improve to what we already have!!!

I like the idea of the Guild Dungeons as to give more attention to the Guilds in general. This will help to keep Guilds around a lot longer by making it more fun and beneficial for members to remain on a Guild
The comic doesn't seem to have pets for the ones that I can read. They do have a broken down mechanical bird for Fidget though.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Adventurer

I think I recall Shakes to have a pet turtle named Speedy. So the idea of pets in the game wouldn't be very farfetched. Also, as the comic/ game is also meant to make fun of a certain other online game which has pets (can't put my finger on it... ), it could actually fit in quite well...

And I really could see a lot of fun with pets in the style of Shakes & Fidget - with pigs and cows available as mounts, all kinds of fun animals could qualify as pets (snails, skunks, fleas, tape worms...). And the "classic" pets can offer a lot of fun too (ferocious hamster, goldfish on a leash...). Not to mention all kinds of fantasy creatures, and of course some of the monsters of the game (I would really like to have my own baby elephant ).

However, if pets would be included in the game, I would prefer implementation as simple as possible. Why not use the system already in place and add them as a sort of "item", giving stat values just as the other items? There could even be epic pets.
Pets could have their very own equipment slot (though at the moment I don't see where this would fit). Or instead of one or more equipment slots only for pets, they could for example be new types of lucky charms (equipped in the slot with the clover). Some could also qualify as other types of items - how about a poisonous snake for a belt, or a pirate's parrot as "headwear"?