Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Help & Questions > Character Advice

Notices

Character Advice Need help building your avatar? You've come to the right place.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edthard View Post
Blue,
and I mentioned Im a Scout?
Ah, I wish I had known that sooner. This is crucial piece of information.

Quote:
Iv got 63000HP
And dex at 685..
weapon 58-106..
Problems outlined in RED. Against an opponent of the same type, you should have a higher primary stat. The reason for this is damage is scaled
(Your stat - half of their stat + 10) * Weapon Base Damage.

Quote:
but I beat him...He didnt CRIT me..Finally.
Congratulations. Scout vs scout is the most random of all matchups (both have 50% evade against each other). Worse upsets have happened.

The lesson here is that you're gear needs to be MORE Dex heavy and you need to invest in HIGHER damage base weapon (I think my warrior had a better base than your scout at that level). Also, you need to invest more gold in your primary stat(s) than you have currently if a dungeon creep out powers you in raw stats.

Recommended: Do a lot more city guard and stop pumping the garbage stats. The reason for this thread is to specify that GEAR, being so much more cost effective for individual battles than permanent stats, can be a solid way to cover one's deficiencies for situational combat. If you're defense stats (strength and intelligence, in your case) are low, they should be because each point of Dex, Con, or even Luck is worth 3-4 times more in the short AND long runs of your character. However, if you get a +STR Bow on a quest, you might be able to save it to help yourself with STR dungeon monsters, while switching back to your +Dex +Con Bow for everything else.

EDIT:
If two members of the same class are in combat, remember that 26% difference between them means that the higher party has DOUBLE the multiplier of the lower party. This means that even if base damage is even, the higher party is dealing double damage. This is crucially important in honor battles. While a warrior with inferior Strength may be able to crank out battles against mages with HP alone, he will be dragged back down by warriors with 60% his HP and 126% his strength. You need double Con (most other things being equal) to break even with a mirror class opponent with 26% more STR. That gets expensive in terms of stats. Which is why primary stat is primary.

Last edited by BlueDude2; 07-18-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: A little more math
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDude2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Send a message via Yahoo to Beanhead III
Default AWESOME INFO!!!

I read your thread and this is some awesome info! May I take it back to my guild and share(Quote) you on what you shared?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Griffin

Blue,
If you look at my character, I have almost ALL my hardware giving dex.
I havent seen a Better weapon. IF I change my weapon, I loose 100+ dex.

Every weapon I see in the shop, and as bonus in battle, NEVER have dex, in my last 3-4 levels..
Starting to think about using hardware to defend against STR and INT, and using all my points in DEX/CON/LUCK..

I win over 50% of my battle on human players that attack me. And am defeating the dungeons, 4-6 levels LOWER then the dungeon level. I think iv got a good build so far. Just need better hardware.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Blue,
If you look at my character, I have almost ALL my hardware giving dex.
I havent seen a Better weapon. IF I change my weapon, I loose 100+ dex.

Every weapon I see in the shop, and as bonus in battle, NEVER have dex, in my last 3-4 levels..
I don't have your character name so no, I haven't checked.

As for weapons in shop and bonus in battle, base damage > Dex, particularly before level 50. Getting that magical weapon that makes all of your problems go away would be nice, but it ain't easy to come by. Do the damage calculation and determine if maybe a con weapon would better serve your purposes.

If you can't find a better weapon, try leveling up. However, given your bad luck, I would just as soon start flipping through shop pages with mushrooms. My s2 mage appropriately has had a Luck Staff and a Con Staff because (1) the stats were humongous and (2) the base damage makes all the difference in damage dealing.

Tell you what, PM me your IGN, and I'll be happy to see what's going on. In my experience, if you are putting phat gold into your primary AND all your gear is primary, there should be no reason that a dungeon creep should be outpacing you at your own game by 100 points.

Alternate gear implies that you have multiple choices at your disposal. In your case, you may have an issue finding even a primary weapon, which is a different issue entirely.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Griffin

Im doing pretty good..
But Im watching for better Hardware.

lvl 37 and a 106 weapon?
I think its waiting to give me a better item.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Im doing pretty good..
But Im watching for better Hardware.

lvl 37 and a 106 weapon?
I think its waiting to give me a better item.
Actually, what you have is an ~82 weapon.

Others in your area have as high as ~100.

And I quote: ~100, ~88, ~92

Your weapon with full dex is equivalent to a ~96 base weapon with no Dex. A weapon with less dex requires more complicated math, but sincerely this points out two things.

1. your nonweapon gear needs to pull more of its weight. Your base is great, but your +Dex gear needs to be increased overall. Right now, your weapon carries 14.x% of your dex, which means trading it out is not an option.

2. You need to consider base damage for the interim. In this case, anything ~96 and up pretty much does it for you. If your non-weapon gear had more dex, you could probably get away with even a ~92 or ~88 weapon.

Basically, this thread does not apply because your character is not yet built to specifications. On the other hand, as a matter of pacing, it's not a bad thing. My warrior had an armor class of about 15% up to level 30 and still did alright (mages don't care about armor anyway). Patience, and I'm sure you will get a better weapon.

I recommend you crunch some numbers the next time a weapon drops for you. Remember, ~96 is a sure swap, and if it has +Dex, don't be afraid to whip out the 'ole graphing calculator.

As for backup weapons, I would never sacrifice more than 10% of my damage for 5% in stat defense (which is what a pure defense stat weapon provides versus a comparable opponent around level 60). Warriors (like mine) don't rely on damage though. For mages, this number can be even more complex as every point of con/luck also matters when keeping a backup weapon.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Griffin

The draw back I have is my Gear is adding 250 dex to my DEX.
Each piece is around 30-50 dex..
so dropping a piece is very Valuable..
Im building my defense, on Int/str up to about 300 with spare points.
Im pushing alittle hard as I bought the dragon..
NOW Its time to slow down and build.
Wait for better hardware, or convert it to Defense rather then offense.
most of the stuff coming up is all STR/INT.
as soon as I start to convert, and spend money, it will change again.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Truffle Shuffler

I keep spare gear for one reason: "banking". I keep up to 3 things just to have stuff to sell if I find something I want to buy. (Just a way to have money to me that can't be stolen.)